pc won't boot fro offical xp pro cd

p.mc

Hi all

WinXP Pro NTFS File System

Had a BSOD "stop:C0000218" (registry file failure)
This error doesn't let you into safe mode. so used my official O/S disc to
do the below steps set out by MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

I Completed Parts 1&2 without incident
I Completed part 3 up to deleting the first 5 files.

** But the next 5 files to be copied replied (couldn't find them or words to
that effect)

I found another fix exact same, but with slightly more info on the command
line of the 5 troublesome
files to be copied but still no joy. (I checked, re-checked & re-typed to be
certain on all occasions)
So I replaced the files I'd backed up ("recovery console confirmed this")

I thought I'd repeat the earlier steps, enough to get myself into safe mode
where I could access some
registry back-ups I'd made last year and put in a folder "C:\registry
back-ups"

But read earlier something about not going to recovery console to repair so
chose install.
I let it run to the first couple of steps 'till asked what partition. I then
realised that was not going to help
so pressed F3 to exit.

** But on re-booting kept getting the message "Invalid.boot.ini file Booting
from C:\windows"
Which of course it won't because of error.

I tried another xp pro disc to try and get past the "invald.boot.ini file
Boo................................."
but was just getting the same message, so now I can't even re-install from
the original disc...Aaaaarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Any help would be most appreciative thanks.

Regards
p.mc

philo

[...]

Run a RAM test and hard drive diagnostic.

You will never fix the problem if it turns out to be bad hardware

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
----------

The PC won't boot up even with the O/S disc and I can't get into safe mode
either, so how would I run tests/diagnostics?

Regards
p.mc

Unk

The PC won't boot up even with the O/S disc and I can't get into safe mode
either, so how would I run tests/diagnostics?

Regards
p.mc

Diagnostic tests are done from bootable CDs or floppys.

Since you asked this, you are not qualified to fix the problem.
Bring the PC to a repair shop.

Unk

p.mc

"Unk" wrote in message
The PC won't boot up even with the O/S disc and I can't get into safe mode
either, so how would I run tests/diagnostics?

Regards
p.mc

Diagnostic tests are done from bootable CDs or floppys.

Since you asked this, you are not qualified to fix the problem.
Bring the PC to a repair shop.

Unk
---

I don't know, I've fixed PC problems before with the help of subscribers. I
just thought if it won't boot from an
official xp pro bootable disc then would it boot from disc at all!
I do have a floppy drive on the tower maybe that's the way to go.

Any pointers to what program etc I should be using to boot up the pc and do
a registry back up?

mathew.melbin

Hi

Better you should repair the Windows XP operating system using the be bootable XP Windows CD.

Don't format anything, just do a repair installation.

Refering Google for XP repair installation.

Thanks,
Melbin Mathew
www.techiesweb.com

p.mc

wrote in message

Hi

Better you should repair the Windows XP operating system using the be
bootable XP Windows CD.

Don't format anything, just do a repair installation.

Refering Google for XP repair installation.

Thanks,
Melbin Mathew
www.techiesweb.com
---

"be bootable XP Windows CD" Sorry I don't understand!

As I've said though, it won't boot from my official xp pro cd.
One minute it did the next it wouldn't!..."Weird!"

Regards
p.mc