can not adjust TCP/IP settings


J

Jason

Have XP Pro SP2. Under network settings the adaptor name is missing (it does
show under hardware devices though) and TCP/IP is missing. I tried to
connect a router (192.168.2.1) and change thee XP to obtain ip automatically
but I had use a different computer and set it's ip to 192.168.1.1 to get
everything to work.
ipconfig /all shows ip address

Thanks,
J.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Why isn't SP3 installed? [1]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] Note: Support for WinXP SP2 ended on 13 July 2010. Computers running
WinXP SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update"
[i.e., updates released on & after 02 August 2010 so you'll be two months
behind on 14 September!] until SP3 has been installed. Extended Support for
WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

. What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
 
S

Sunny

Another culprit that is messing with Networks (especially file and printer
sharing) is the latest Acronis True Image 2010.
Still not resolved. {-)

PA Bear said:
Why isn't SP3 installed? [1]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] Note: Support for WinXP SP2 ended on 13 July 2010. Computers running
WinXP SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update"
[i.e., updates released on & after 02 August 2010 so you'll be two
months behind on 14 September!] until SP3 has been installed. Extended
Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

. What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Have XP Pro SP2. Under network settings the adaptor name is missing (it
does
show under hardware devices though) and TCP/IP is missing. I tried to
connect a router (192.168.2.1) and change thee XP to obtain ip
automatically
but I had use a different computer and set it's ip to 192.168.1.1 to
get
everything to work.
ipconfig /all shows ip address

Thanks,
J.
 
J

Jason

It has taken me an hour or so to find this - ms has just deleted the
messages and windows live mail/outlook didn't send the emails that contained
alternative servers.
see answers below

what is a better news reader for 7? Live sucks (OE is OK but no longer
available)
Sunny said:
Another culprit that is messing with Networks (especially file and printer
sharing) is the latest Acronis True Image 2010.
Still not resolved. {-)erna

PA Bear said:
Why isn't SP3 installed? [1] - too many postings regarding issues with it
plus I don't have the disk for it.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? avast Antivirus -
subscription current. Zone Alarm, Spybot and another one which i can't
remember the name.

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer? no

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.) no

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] Note: Support for WinXP SP2 ended on 13 July 2010. Computers running
WinXP SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update"
[i.e., updates released on & after 02 August 2010 so you'll be two months
behind on 14 September!] until SP3 has been installed. Extended Support
for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

. What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Have XP Pro SP2. Under network settings the adaptor name is missing (it
does
show under hardware devices though) and TCP/IP is missing. I tried to
connect a router (192.168.2.1) and change thee XP to obtain ip
automatically
but I had use a different computer and set it's ip to 192.168.1.1 to get
everything to work.
ipconfig /all shows ip address

Thanks,
J.
 
P

Peter Foldes

Cheng Heng

You are an idiot and a buddy of BD. I think that say's it all

--
Peter
Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Klaatu Barada Nikto

They're joined at the rectum/mouth.

Peter Foldes said:
Cheng Heng

You are an idiot and a buddy of BD. I think that say's it all

--
Peter
Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top