Can anyone tell me the Maximum operating temperature of the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

3

32andtwentyseven

My model is an 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

How can I monitor the CPU's temperature?

Thanks very very much.

Ed Medlin

32andtwentyseven said:
My model is an 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

How can I monitor the CPU's temperature?

Thanks very very much.
Do a google for CoreTemp. It is free and monitors both cores.

Ed

3

32andtwentyseven

"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message

My model is an 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Do a google for CoreTemp. It is free and monitors both cores.

Ed

Thanks!!

3

32andtwentyseven

My model is an 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Do a google for CoreTemp. It is free and monitors both cores.

Ed

Oh I forgot to ask, can you tell me what is a normal temp for a
processor? Thanks.

Ed Medlin

32andtwentyseven said:
Oh I forgot to ask, can you tell me what is a normal temp for a
processor? Thanks.

Terminal temps for the C2D are in the 85-90c range IIRC. Normal operating
temps, at least what I would like to see, would be anywhere under the 60-62c
range under 100% load. The C2D will start throttling down in the 70-75c
range to protect the processor. If it gets close to terminal temps it will
just shut down completely. It is all but impossible to destroy an Intel
processor by overheating. You can however destroy it with overvoltage if you
are not careful. This usually happens when an overclocking novice trys to
overvolt by 50% or more...Not a smart move. I use liquid cooling and idle
temps are in the 29-31c range and max (100% load on both cores) is high
40s-low 50sC with an E6600 2.4ghz @ 3.2ghz. With my temps I can get this
speed at default voltage and be completely stable. With the standard Intel
HS/Fan I would expect temps 8-12 degs higher at least. There are a lot of
variables when it comes to CPU temps. Case ventilation, HS compound
application/proper HS installation and room temps are a few of the more
common reasons for high temps. I hope this helps. If you want more info,
just ask.

Ed

voltagex

I'm about to get myself a new machine with an E6600, won't be
completely homebuilt but I certainly will be fiddling with my air
cooling setup - not ready to go for water yet. I do not want to change
voltages unless I really have to, so can you overclock even a little
without it?