Camera wont stay installed

Reaction score
Hi All

I hope someone can help me here.

I recently had XP pro breakdown on me so I performed a clean install, this went fine except the webcam I had working before the breakdown (cheap PC Line model) wouldn't stay installed. By this I mean it would install then when I switched the PC off and back on again it would be uninstalled!

I decided to upgrade my XP and finally installed SP2 and all other updates, but the problem remained so I put it down to the camera. I have now purchased a Philips DMVC 1300k but the same problems remain.

It seems to be OK when the PC is restarted, it also seems ok if I leave the installation disk in the machine. I have been to the Philips site and downloaded their most up to date drivers with no luck.

I was going to go to their support for ideas but as the problem has been repeated with two cams now I have to think it's a problem with my machine.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

Reaction score
Sorry to here about the problem, I've had similar errors with other devices.
Are you installing with the device cd or the windows wizard?? Sometimes the wizard messes it up.
I would disconnect the device, uninstall all drivers and software. Restart the computer. Insert the disk and install the drivers and do not connect the device until instructed. If the windows wizard thing pops up close it, use the device installer from the cd.( If it dosn't have a self installer that you will have to use the windows installer). Ususally these cameras come with a small program suite. I would install the software too. Use the camera and record a short clip. The try to do a shut down and restart.

Hope that works, if not wait for one of the others, we all have our own tricks.....

Reaction score
Hi Hornbeam

Try turning off all the programs that are running in the background.
like antivi, firewall ect. then install

You can turn off more of the background programs Ctrl, Alt, Delete Running process and end process.
Dont end any of the system processes cause your machine will reboot.

I dont know what to tellya if that dont work.

OOooppss.
Good luck

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's USB init ... what MB is it running off?

Better still ... give us a bit more info' on the rest of the USB devices and system.

;)

Reaction score
Hi All

Thanks for your suggestions but still no luck I am afraid. I uninstalled everything last night, took the advice about shutting down all the unnecessary systems and reinstalled everything from scratch. The same things happened; OK on initial restart but the camera went missing once I switched off and back on again. Interestingly the PC still recognises it has a external drive attached (The cam comes with a bit of memory storage space) but the cam isn't recognised either in MSN messenger or by its own software.

I can't quite see how the USB usage fits in? The thing is that I had the 1st camera working fine before and I have no extra USB usage now.

Thanks for your help, but I think it's something else?

Reaction score
I thought about another three things ya might try.

If your still working on it ya might try unistalling the driver also control panel-system- device or hardware manager find the camera open it right click on the Icon you will see the unistall. reboot and let plugin play detect it again. try to reinstall the driver also check at the hardware site in support to see if they have a update driver.

Sometimes this works install the software in safe mode hit the f8 key while booting. In safe mode the CD drives cant be seen but sometimes ya can work around it if you can explore the disk you can copy the install file to the drive. Some software ya cant copy CD to hard disk it wont let you.

I THINK THIS IS WHERE YOUR AT NOW.
If you have another usb card that can play tricks on ya in device manager. Check the bios hit delete while doing a bootup check the bios if the usb is on.

You said reinstalled everything, if you reinstalled windows and still have problems the bios setting or some hardware is the problem. If checking the bios did not work try the camera on another old unused PC becareful about trying possible damaged USB stuff on a good new PC. If the USB serial chip on the mother is damaged a USB card should work try a cheap USB device on it to see if it works. the chips have more than one channel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Their is two ways windows can be reinstalled, over the old install with the old software settings try reinstallin the drivers again. Did you do this or:---
Did you do this.
If you formated the drive starting fresh, plugin play made new registry settings still havin problems its hardware or bios.

Some USB devices have conflict with each other if ya have a lot connected.

Sometimes the registry is damaged you might have no choice but format reinstall to fix, backup everything you need before trying something like that. That would be a very hard decision at least for me to work that hard for a USB device.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This camera USB thing has me thinking alot.

Have you tryed antipest scanners. Hacker programs like Subseven the trojans allow them to see you through your camera and they can turn off your cammera also. If that happend the trojan can still be turning it off.

Read about Subseven.

Reaction score
BIOS upgrade

Hi All (again!)

Lots of good advice guys and I thank you all for your time. The USB Bios settings stuff sent me off looking up how to change the BIOS for my PC (Award Modular?). Any way I discovered that there is an upgrade available for this particular version so I have purchased that and will apply it when it downloads.

Watch this space!

Ask a Question