Camera Batteries

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The one thing I really like about Fuji cameras is that they run on "ordinary" batteries namely AA 1.5V. None of these fancy ones which cost more than the camera when they need replacing.
I can use two alkaline AA batteries which is 3V. Or, I can use two rechargeable Ni metal hydride AA batteries but these are only 1.2V each, or 2.4V in total. Can any battery expert tell me how 2.4V still powers the camera - it's 20% less voltage than I get with the alkaline ones.
Another question is how many times can I expect to recharge batteries? I assume that eventually they deteriorate and become unrechargeable. Anyone know a good place to get new rechargeables at a decent price?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The camera was built to run on any DC voltage between, say, 2.2 and 3.5 volts, or thereabouts.

All appliances running on battery will have a voltage range they can run on, voltage doesn't have to be exact. As long as the cells can provide current, the device will run.

The current rating of your NimH cells will determine their lifespan, the higher the rating (2800mah and higher is good) the better, and I think you're good for around 1000 charges, but don't quote me on that.

I've found that with average use, cells last me around 4 to 5 years.

Good place to buy rechargeables is on: Play.com; Amazon; Big Pockets; SVP and quite a few online stores selling recordable media.

Look out for promotional bargains in Staples and Maplins as well.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ta Flops. :thumb: The current batteries are 1800mAh and have been in use for 2-3 years so I suppose I can't expect anything else. Time for some new ones. :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Energizer :thumb:

Their 2500mAh do me well for 3-4 days shooting (400-500 pics) on me Fuji 5700. Me sister uses the same batts in her new Fuji too. :nod:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can also recommend the Energizer batteries, I have some of those, they're good :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If your going to go the rechargeable route then go for the newer Hybrio rechargeables they hold the charge far longer than standard Ni-mh's..

These are the only batteries I use now and am slowly replacing all my rechargeable batteries for these Hybrio NI-Mh

Here ya go have a read of this..

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/hybrio.htm

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
nivrip said:
The one thing I really like about Fuji cameras is that they run on "ordinary" batteries namely AA 1.5V. None of these fancy ones which cost more than the camera when they need replacing.
I can use two alkaline AA batteries which is 3V. Or, I can use two rechargeable Ni metal hydride AA batteries but these are only 1.2V each, or 2.4V in total. Can any battery expert tell me how 2.4V still powers the camera - it's 20% less voltage than I get with the alkaline ones.
Another question is how many times can I expect to recharge batteries? I assume that eventually they deteriorate and become unrechargeable. Anyone know a good place to get new rechargeables at a decent price?

You may find this thread useful, besides it contains the answers to some of your questions. :)

Batteries and what you should know about them

Here is another one which you may useful also when considering the batteries and charger.

Battery Chargers and what you should know about them!

Many members since posting that link have bought chargers and batteries and I am sure they would be more than happy to share their views if you have more questions.
nod.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They are great posts Quad and still contain relevant information but these brand new Hybrio from Uniross and Eneloop from Sanyo batteries have superceded all rechargeable batteries out there..

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info fellas. :thumb:

After reading it all up I'm going to try the Eneloop batteries. I'll report back on them later - although if they are as good as they make out it may take some time. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Got my Eneloop rechargeable batteries and, sure enough, they do not need charging before use - straight into the camera. Maybe a little more expensive than the "old fashioned" rechargeables - four for £7.50.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Glad to be of help Nivrip see told ya them new Hybrio and Eneloop batts were the business, bet you replace all your old Ni-Mh batteries now..:nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Does it shorten the life of the rechargeables to be "topped-up" when only partially spent, does anyone know please? Also how long to they take - I can see that there are several kinds of charger, some taking an hour, others about 10 or more... so just wondering which is 'best' from the battery-life point of view? :wave:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Does it shorten the life of the rechargeables to be "topped-up" when only partially spent,
Apparently not. :thumb:

I can see that there are several kinds of charger, some taking an hour, others about 10 or more... so just wondering which is 'best' from the battery-life point of view?

The life of the battery is not affected by the speed of charging. :thumb:

Ask a Question