Supercapacitor Battery could revolutionise portable tech

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Researchers at the University of Central Florida (UCF) have developed a new type of superconductor battery that could charge a phone in a few seconds and last for days. It may be some time before the product is available in consumer goods, but this is very promising news none-the-less.

“For small electronic devices, our materials are surpassing the conventional ones worldwide in terms of energy density, power density and cyclic stability,” Choudhary said.

Cyclic stability defines how many times it can be charged, drained and recharged before beginning to degrade. For example, a lithium-ion battery can be recharged fewer than 1,500 times without significant failure. Recent formulations of supercapacitors with two-dimensional materials can be recharged a few thousand times.

By comparison, the new process created at UCF yields a supercapacitor that doesn’t degrade even after it’s been recharged 30,000 times.

Supercapacitor.jpg

Read the article here and the research paper here.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm sure they will come eventually. :)

As usual, they will be an arm and a leg initially and then rocket down in price as they get used in everything. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm sure they will come eventually. :)

As usual, they will be an arm and a leg initially and then rocket down in price as they get used in everything. :)

Yep, that's what I'm hoping! :thumb:

Reaction score
Hope they eventually invent this type of technology for the electric car market...It's all they need to become better

:)