C300 2.5inch Crucial 128GB Real SSD

CSB

Reaction score
Has been a busy start to the weekend and none of it has been to do with a PC lol, looking after nephews.

Well yes, your right, I'm again spending too much time deciding on the next component I need to buy.

I want the SSD Drive in the title, but after some research, some places say the firmware isn't as stable as it could be and claims Crucial rushed it a bit to get extra sales as soon as possible.

Another article claims OCZ have released some SSD Drives where they have tested the drives fully before relasing them on the retail market.

Yes I know some articles are just a load of b*ll*cks, but sometimes you can come across one thats telling the truth.

Of those who own a Crucial SSD, have you heard or known any issues with the drives ???.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I has Crucial SSD as per my sig..

It is awesome and been faultless thus far. :)

That one your looking at is basically the newer version of what i have. If i was buying now, i'd probs for for that.

CSB

Reaction score
Deffinately good to know V_R, How long does your OS take to load with your SSD ?

And as for TRIM, I've read up very little about it, is it part of an SSD already, or do you have to install it seperately to take adavantage of its benefits ?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Boot time? Well the MB i have has a very comprehensive POST which takes about 10 second on its own Its got a little LED display on the board that displays numbers as its runs through the POST Tests. From there on its about 10 second to load the OS and be on the desktop ready to go.

Trim is supported and enabled by default in Win 7. But if your not using Win7 on a new build them your mad anyway. BTW, you will be installing the 64bit version wont you!? ;)

Back when i got my 128GB M225 (which was October '09, I built this PC the day Win 7 was released) I had to manually update the firmware so the drive itself supported TRIM. Have a look here...

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I'll second that.

For any new build if you're going to install Microsoft's Windows for home use then one of the variations of Win 7 64 Bit is the only way to go.

The Home Premium version is good enough for most folk.

CSB

Reaction score
Windows 7 Pro 64bit already sitting here and waiting (had it for about a month now), as far as I know the C300 is ready to use with TRIM, but I just had concerns about its current firmware. I read that Windows 7 auto detects if SSD supports TRIM then enables it so no messing about with settings.

Just waiting for my Sabertooth mobo and GTX 580 Gfx Card from the brilliant Graeme @ Kustompcs site. then will get the SSD so I can get it connected to the 6GB connection.

Got 2 X 1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint 7200 rpm HDD for storage, but have a question as always. So windows don't get confused with the OS installation, is it better to disconnect these drives and just leave the SSD connected until all is installed ?

I'm getting quite excited now, like a child in a toy store I guess.

I was awaiting a delivery for the Noctua NH-D14 HSF, which was being delivered by Interlink, the numptys couldn't find my house so they sent it back grrrrrr. I then had to email Graeme directions (after he let me know they sent it back) so he can send to Interlink for another attempt at delivery.

They also nearly failed to deliver the Samsung HDD's which I bought from Overclock. The driver left a message on the home answering phone as I was at work, said he couldn't find me and left his mobile number.

I called him the next day as I'm currently off work taking some holiday time. I had to give him directions over the phone. eventually about an hour later he called again to say he was somewhere along the road. I opened my front door and he was parked opposite the house and had to tell him I was looking at him lol.

Other delivery services don't seem to have the same problem, has just been them for some reason. But it's not all their fault as the name of my road is twinned with another road just about 1- 2 miles away. So some sat navs will send people to that address even when they've used my postcode.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was unaware of TRIM so looked it up Link

Kustom PC's are excellent, I remember asking questions by e-mail about the Antec media case I was going to buy (and am now using) and received very quick replies.

When installing Win 7 see if it gives you a choice of HDD's including the SSD.

If it goes to one of the mechanical drives as default and doesn't give you a choice for 'C' then disconnect them.

I used to get delivery problems but most couriers know where I am now and I haven't yet had a mini cab find my place. Reason being it's a new development and the road is split into two parts which can't be driven between. It doesn't help that in my half of the road there's actually no road sign, I really should ask the council to do something about that.

Good luck with the build :)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks floppybootstomp, V_R. I'll do that then floppybootstomp.

Will do my best at cable management aswell on this one, as my first build was more about just building a system for the first time and making sure it posted fine and worked as it should have
icon10.gif

I still consider myself far from knowledgeable (always been hard on myself and have a confidence issue aswell as OCD lol).

I used to be a member of a forum called madnotbad until it went downhill and regular members who I knew better stopped using it.

The Antec 1200 is a BIG case so have plenty of room for everything, including the Noctua NH-D14 HSF.

I have noticed on many sites now, that they've stopped selling Floppy drives in the usual standard, only USB versions available now for external use.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The only use I've had for a floppy drive in the last five years or so is loading RAID drivers during a Win XP install.

As modern motherboards will now boot from other storage devices - usb sticks for example - floppy drives aren't really needed anymore except perhaps to read data from any floppy disks you may still have.

Win 7 will also see a RAID 0 setup without needing to load RAID drivers.

I have a total of 7 floppy drives though, four of them in my machines, the others stored. I will hang on to them though I think I'll remove the one in my main machine with Win 7 installed.

You never know when you may need a piece of old hardware, which is why I still have a 5.25" Floppy Drive disk reader in storage.

I think maybe even RAID 0 may become redundant with the advent of SSD drives. They're so fast I think the gain from a RAID 0 setup using SSD drives may be negligible.

CSB

Reaction score
The only time I've ever really used a Floppy drive was to update the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo Bios so it would accept the Intel P4 3.2 Ghz CPU (Prescott core).

Will fill one of the smaller bays up with a Card reader for SD cards etc, Sarah has one in this system I'm using for internet, so when the new one is up and running ok, I guess I'll hold the Floppy drive back and sell the rest.

The only components I think people will want from this system is the CPU and Memory. PSU maybe but would be expensive to post. Case is in good condition (Coolermaster I believe with a big clear side window, don't know what model)

The system looks old and had its day. First pic of front panel. Second of side panel, all the marks you can see are not dirt/dust, is in fact scratch/impact marks from over the years. not my doing may I add lol. They look alot worse in the photo, but when in person you can't really see alot of them, I blame the flash.

cool1h.jpg

cool2a.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Why don't you list the parts in the forum's sale section?

If it were me I'd offer the Motherboard/CPU/Heatsink/Memory as a bundle then list

PSU
Case
Graphics Card

And if that's a Creative Fatality sound card you have there with a break out panel offer that as well.

Make it clear in your post that the prices you list don't include postage and that will be added to the price. Then you can let any potential purchaser know the postage cost.

I'd advise you to get a signature for the delivery of each item but that will of course put the price up.

The optical drives, hard drive and floppy disk drive are virtually worthless and I wouldn't bother offering those up for sale.

Just an idea, might make you a few pennies :)

CSB

Reaction score
Have to agree with you there floppybootstomp, is the most sensible option. I believe Sarah still has the mobo box etc in the spare room.

As for the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition sound card (which also has a remote control so you can stay in bed and adjust the volume plus other controls), I don't think she wants to sell it, I would though if it was mine. All other parts she is happy to let go.

I doubt anyone will want the graphics card, is a measely Nvidia Geforce MX440 AGP, any sales would deffinately help recoup some of the cost of this new build.

The memory is 3 DDR sticks with a total of 768Mb, apparently from what Sarah's brother told me (who built the system and he did say what memory it was at the time) it's quite decent memory and should still be sought after.

I've never inspected the system myself to see what exactly is inside as when I knew it had a basic MX440 Gfx card, I knew it would be no good for my games so only been used for internet.

Also has an AMD CPU, never cared to take any notice of which spec or speed as AMD have never interested me. I'm sure they must produce some good processors though ?.

I'm alot of good ain't I lol, I will look into it though and get specific details.

I'd always post recorded, I've sold alot on ebay over the last 5 years, Console games, Street Fighter figures lol. Learned a few lessons over the years and infact only recently I sold a Wii game for Sarah, and the buyer claimed they never had it, so sent them proof it was signed for at their house with their name. Even provided evidence of the actual signature.

They closed the ebay/Paypal case in the end and left me positive feedback. Then I blocked them of course.

I've currently got items listed right now on ebay as I'm trying to raise cash.

Had the Corsair AX850 PSU arrive today from Amazon (were cheapest on every site I looked at, saved about £7). Couldn't be more happy with the build quality and the way its all packaged, all the Modular cables come in a seperate Black Corsair branded bag (as if you were staying a night in a hotel and you took along your shaving/bathroom bag with a velcro fastening lol).

The PSU itself is also in a tie string bag, Excellent foam protection for the PSU inside the box aswell. Also comes with some cable ties and a "Powered by Corsair" case badge which I like.

When I built my first system with the specs in my Sig below, I did add 4 case badges to a spare front bay panel. One was for the Intel P4 CPU, one for the Asus Mobo, One for Windows XP Pro and the other was for a Nvidia badge.

antec.jpg

antec2.jpg

CSB

Reaction score
How rude, now I'm offended lol. I guess it's a Marmite issue, you like them or you don't. Not that I'm mad about them but I never saw anything bad with having them.

After all, Corsair have included one with their AX850 PSU, you like Corsair don't you V_R. Go on, stick that badge on your rig
icon10.gif
lol.

Only teasing.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
!!!

Nah i'm just a minimal kinda guy. Like clean lines and all that. :)

What ever floats your boat.

CSB

Reaction score
Another update in regards to SSD, been looking at the Kingston Vseries and read a couple of reviews, very strange though, one review says the 128GB drive supports TRIM right from the start, the other says it doesn't have it and can't update the firmware.

Alot of crap reviews out there, and only a few people you can trust, what a sh!t world.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Maybe the review sample for the one without was an older firmware and the other one was just a numpty?

Theres only a few select sites i trust for reviews, some clearly have no idea at all.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
CSB said:
Another update in regards to SSD, been looking at the Kingston Vseries and read a couple of reviews, very strange though, one review says the 128GB drive supports TRIM right from the start, the other says it doesn't have it and can't update the firmware.

The Kingston website says that TRIM is supported if that helps :)

http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/ssd/v_series.asp

• Performance — enhances productivity; makes users more efficient
  • Innovative — 2.5" form factor; uses NAND flash memory components
  • Silent — Runs silent and cool with no moving mechanical parts
  • Reliable — less likely to fail than a standard hard drive
  • Shock Resistant — No moving mechanical parts so the SSD handles rougher conditions
  • Supports TRIM — ensures maximum performance on compatible Operating Systems1
  • Supports S.M.A.R.T. — Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology to help maintain a healthy drive
  • Guaranteed — 3 year legendary Kingston warranty, 24/7 tech support

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys, good to know Kingston drives do support TRIM right from the get go, I would have got round to looking at the official site honest lol, was late last night and I had already spent an hour looking at other online reviews.

One thing that poped up a few times on a few reviews, was that apparently, the read/write spead fell slightly when compared to other SSD drives on tests.

I didn't read all of it as I was trying to scan through pages and pages of details.

I do like to watch the video reviews on oc3d.tv, and on one of the Complete PC Christmas prizes he gave away, one of them had a 256GB Kingston V series SDD, So I thought if he's using them, then they must be good.

Direct link to that video review, is about 2 mins 15 sec into it.

But after reading those reviews online, I'm wondering if I should stick with Crucial C300 128GB (can't afford 256GG)

CSB

Reaction score
Been away for a week or so, been kept busy with work. I ended up getting the 128GB KINGSTON V+ SSD, didn't want to spend over £400 for 256GB.

Got a great deal, paid £189.99 including free delivery for the 128GB, is the retail box version aswell so got a caddy included incase I want to run it outside the case.

Comes with Brackets w/screws for 2.5” to 3.5” conversion, SATA cable, power cable, and cd with documentation and cloning software.

Got my ASUS GTX580 arriving Monday hopefully from Kustompcs. Couldn't fault Graeme's service, best I've ever known for an online seller.

Also bought a new HP S2331a 23" LCD Monitor for just £150.10 inc delivery, fantastic bargain for an excellent monitor which I first saw in Currys/Comet (can't remember which store of the 2).

I grabbed the last one aswell :D, screen quality if excellent and has a fast enough response time for me, can't go wrong for the price. Got it from Amazon.

Why buy from OCUK and pay extortinate prices and risk poor after sales when you can get alot of the same stuff for around 15% less on some items from my own personal findings, plus you get FREE delivery !.

Plus Amazons returns process is easy peasy, no hassel, even got my p+p returned when I returned the first lot of memory, when OCUK cost me £20.

Amazon and Kustompcs = Happy Days :cheers:.

Just speaking from my own personal experience.

Last edited:

Ask a Question