    Fred wrote:
    >> "LOADS OF TRIPE"

    Who the h*ll are you?

    RCS, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Re: And the Liberty Alliance Wins! (Re: Bye Bye Microsoft Passport!)

    Erik Funkenbusch <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 22 Oct 2004 13:53:48 -0700, Randall Shimizu wrote:
    >
    > > Erik Funkenbusch <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> Hailstorm failed because there really wasn't a business case to justify it.
    > >> Passport, while not a resounding success, isn't a failure.

    > > Hailstorm failed because businesses and consumers rejected. The
    > > financial community approached Sun asked them to develop more open
    > > single-signon solution. Businesses were not comfortable that a single
    > > entity or company would store information on a single platform.
    > > It's used by

    > You seem to be confusing Hailstorm with Passport. They're not the same
    > thing. As such, how can one take your analysis when you don't even
    > understand this difference?
    >
    > Hailstorm was simply a collection of "for pay" Web services, which have
    > nothing to do with single sign on.
    >
    > >> I think there's a bigger chance of Liberty merging with Passport than the
    > >> other way around.

    > > No, Microsoft is no longer pushing Passport as it's single sign-on
    > > solution. What will proably happen is that Liberty and WS-I will
    > > merge.

    > I haven't seen MS offering any alternative to Passport, and they're still
    > using it everywhere.

    Microsoft is pushing single sign on as service as opposed to a
    Passport service (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=single+sign+on+site:microsoft.com).
    Earlier this year Microsoft had a WS-I interoperability pavillon. None
    of the vendors or Microsoft were showing Passport.

    Randall Shimizu, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Re: And the Liberty Alliance Wins! (Re: Bye Bye Microsoft Passport!)

    On 24 Oct 2004 16:17:16 -0700, Randall Shimizu wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch <> wrote in message news:<>...

    >>> Hailstorm failed because businesses and consumers rejected. The
    >>> financial community approached Sun asked them to develop more open
    >>> single-signon solution. Businesses were not comfortable that a single
    >>> entity or company would store information on a single platform.
    >>> It's used by

    >> You seem to be confusing Hailstorm with Passport. They're not the same
    >> thing. As such, how can one take your analysis when you don't even
    >> understand this difference?
    >>
    >> Hailstorm was simply a collection of "for pay" Web services, which have
    >> nothing to do with single sign on.

    >>> No, Microsoft is no longer pushing Passport as it's single sign-on
    >>> solution. What will proably happen is that Liberty and WS-I will
    >>> merge.

    >> I haven't seen MS offering any alternative to Passport, and they're still
    >> using it everywhere.

    > Microsoft is pushing single sign on as service as opposed to a
    > Passport service (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=single+sign+on+site:microsoft.com).
    > Earlier this year Microsoft had a WS-I interoperability pavillon. None
    > of the vendors or Microsoft were showing Passport.

    That's local single-sign on, for enterprise. Not single-sign on for
    e-commerce. That's a service that runs locally and authenticates against
    your own credential databases (AD, LDAP, etc..) rather than a single
    sign-on that allows you to go to different sites and login once.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Oct 25, 2004
  4. asj

    Guest Guest

    One can only hope that a universal solution comes to play, rahther than each
    IT major coming with its own identity management solution.

    Guest, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Re: And the Liberty Alliance Wins! (Re: Bye Bye Microsoft Passport!)

    Erik Funkenbusch <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 24 Oct 2004 16:17:16 -0700, Randall Shimizu wrote:
    >
    > > Erik Funkenbusch <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> You seem to be confusing Hailstorm with Passport. They're not the same
    > >> thing. As such, how can one take your analysis when you don't even
    > >> understand this difference?
    > >>
    > >> Hailstorm was simply a collection of "for pay" Web services, which have
    > >> nothing to do with single sign on.

    > >> I haven't seen MS offering any alternative to Passport, and they're still
    > >> using it everywhere.

    > > Microsoft is pushing single sign on as service as opposed to a
    > > Passport service (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=single+sign+on+site:microsoft.com).
    > > Earlier this year Microsoft had a WS-I interoperability pavillon. None
    > > of the vendors or Microsoft were showing Passport.

    > That's local single-sign on, for enterprise. Not single-sign on for
    > e-commerce. That's a service that runs locally and authenticates against
    > your own credential databases (AD, LDAP, etc..) rather than a single
    > sign-on that allows you to go to different sites and login once.

    WS-I and or other single-sign on solutions are not solution solution
    specific. They can be used for both enterprise and e-commerce.

    Charles Hizark, Oct 27, 2004