Windows XP buying windows os

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
hi i need to buy a copy of windows xp for another system. I just need to know a few things. Is there a real difference between xp home and xp pro this is for a home computer. Also what is the difference between oem software and retail software? I know if i bought xp oem it wouldnt come in a flash box and it wouldnt come with all the documentation but would it come with a serial number?? Also i assume that both xp editions support dual core processors, i know pro does but does home? Also where is the best place to buy this software like the lowest price and the software has to be genuine

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
The one difference between Home & Pro is mainly the Networking capabilities - mainly Pro's are better than Home. But i've lost count of the amount of times i've seen people purchasing the Pro version as they think it sounds more 'professional' if you know what i mean.

OEM vs. Retail - Well i can guarantee you that a OEM version of Windows WILL have a serial number, so don't worry about that one. I purchased my Windows in an OEM version and saved myself a nice few quid too. You're right in what you say, no flash box, manual (hey that's why we're here!) etc etc.

As for the lowest price, you'll have to do a bit of hunting around on the Web for that, unless anyone else here can point you in a better direction.

Reaction score
Will probably be about £55-£60 for a copy of XP Home with SP2. You can get from ebuyer.com or overclockers.co.uk or aria.co.uk to name just a few places.

Dont bother with Retail, it's pointless. You might have to buy like a cheap keyboard to qualify to for OEM goods... probably not though.

I always use home... does everything i and most people need + more.

You can still network just great with it - running a network of 5 computers here, all on home.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
and i assume that xp home will support dual core systems?? or is it just xp pro that does?

Reaction score
cfc, Home and Pro support dual-core - anthough i admit i'm not 100% positive on that so i'd wait for confirmation first.

Interesting posting i found on another site though.

Can Windows Handle Dual Core?

The primary element to focus on is Symmetric Multi-Processing (SMP). That is where multiple processors can perform concurrent tasks. SMP capabilities are software-driven, which means applications must be SMP-aware to benefit from multiple-processor systems such as dual-core.

Herein lies the biggest obstacle, as many operating systems, such as Windows XP Home, are not SMP-capable and will not make use of the second physical processor. Also, most modern programs are single-threaded, meaning there’s only a single current set of linked instructions. As a result, only one processor can effectively work with those single-threaded applications.

So does this mean that the typical system builder should abandon dual-core processors? No! The key is to use dual-core based systems to build lower-cost, high-end workstations and entertainment PCs.

Why those particular systems? Because applications exist in those environments that can leverage SMP functionality. Graphics applications such as Photoshop, and CAD applications such as AutoCAD, thrive in multiprocessor environments. Also, OSes including Windows XP Professional can benefit from SMP-compatible systems, as well as Windows XP Media Center Edition. Finally, several high-end games can benefit from SMP, especially when it comes to rendering graphics and maintaining frame rates.

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So let’s build a dual-core system and run some benchmarks to determine what improvements a system builder can expect.

---

Thing is are you really going to benefit that much from running dual core?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Canes Venatici said:
Thing is are you really going to benefit that much from running dual core?

ans=yes because when the software and os become more mainstream and more common it will be well worth it and atm i can set affinities so i can be running several programs at a time and not feel the stress of having it all on one core

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
well from what i have heard it will make its way into the market torwards the close of this year

Reaction score
It will probably make more headlines towards the end of this year in the IT world but these things are always delayed...delayed...delayed...

Just take everything you read with a pinch of salt.

Vista anyone...? :rolleyes:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
well anyways i went out and bought xp home oem today installed it and here i am nothing bad happened and thanks for your help

Ask a Question