Building a pc


Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
Hey guys, today at school i have nearly finalized a deal by building a pc for a friend, he has just got to ask his dad lol Anywayz he wont play any high range games, he said something like soldier of fortune thats about it, mostly word things etc... so i recommended something like this:

2.8GHz
512MB RAM
FX5500 (My old one ) lol (Save him money)
ASUS motherboard (Don't know which one though)
160 + GB harddrive
Case
Dvd rewriter

Can you recommend some parts for that? He said around maybe 600 pounds ? Plus i am going to charge him lol :) Asking alot of people if they want a pc now, so i can make money hehe

P.S NO MONITER OR SPEAKERS< just the case
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
Heya, this is what i have found so far :

Case : http://computerprices.co.uk/hardware/pricemagnifier.asp?productid=290995

DVD re-writer: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/CD_RW_DVD_Combinations.html (5th one up from bottom)

Graphics: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/FX5900_Series.html (Top one)

Hard drive: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Maxtor2.html (3rd one from bottom)

CPU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Pentium_4_Socket_478.html (3rd one down)

Memory: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Crucial_Value.html (2nd one from bottom)

Motherboard: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Asus_Socket_478.html (3rd one down)

Hope this is all compatible with eachother, i would relaly appreicate your help one this one, seeing as it's my first build lol :)

Thanx :)
 

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
1,717
Case - OK.

Samsung CDRW/DVD - OK (I have one of those).

Graphics - OK (thought he was getting your old one though) Consider a 9800 Pro

HDD - Lots of Maxtors failing lately, consider Samsung or WD.

CPU - suppose so, but I don't like Intel ;)

Memory - No. Use 2 x 512 sticks and buy direct from Crucial, it's cheaper and their prices include p & p.

(btw, 2nd one from bottom is 1Gb and you specced 512 in first post. If that's the case, obviously use 2 x 256)

Motherboard - A good board, notice it has dual memory capability, hence my advice about 2 x 512 memory modules.

Does the CPU include a cooler? If not consider the Gigabyte 3D Pro or a Thermalright cooler.

No floppy drive?

Motherboard come with cables? Rounded cables?

generally, sounds good to me :)

btw, I had a package arrive today - thankee. Haven't tried it yet though ;)
 

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
5,708
Reaction score
42
First of all belloni.

If your going for a gaming platform i'd go for amd64 over intel, you can get amd64 3000 for £96-

The dvd rewriter you list is actually only a cd-rw not dvd-rw, you can get an nec 3500dvdrw dual layer for £38-

Memory you can get 1gb of 3200 400mhz cl3 corsair for £105 which is normally faster and more reliable than crucial memory, although crucial are a good brand but expensive from where you are buying it.

So you pays your money and takes your choice........happy decisions....
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
crazylegs said:
First of all belloni.

If your going for a gaming platform i'd go for amd64 over intel, you can get amd64 3000 for £96-

He's not really a gamer that's why, otherwise i would have lol

The dvd rewriter you list is actually only a cd-rw not dvd-rw, you can get an nec 3500dvdrw dual layer for £38-

Oh ok. Where can i get your one then ?

Memory you can get 1gb of 3200 400mhz cl3 corsair for £105 which is normally faster and more reliable than crucial memory, although crucial are a good brand but expensive from where you are buying it.

He don't really care, so 512MB will do him fine, for what he is doing
 
Ad

Advertisements

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
1,717
The Memory: That's fine, but you don't really need ECC, try this one and save a little money, although the one you've specced is a little better I suppose.

crazylegs has a point, I'd say Corsair Value Select has the edge on Crucial but if your friend's not going to overclock, Crucial is fine stable memory, and there's no problems dealing with Crucial if ever you have a problem.

The heatsink's good, top of the range, you could probably get away with the next one down, the 90, and save twelve quid. Don't forget you'll need a 120mm fan with that though, or a 92mm fan with the 90.

Hard drive is good.

crazylegs is also right to point out the Samsung CDRW/DVD-ROM combi drive is not a DVD-RW. I missed seeing you said DVDRW in your first post.

NEC used to be not very good but lately I've seen lots of recommendations for them, so they must have got their act together. For the extra money, it's well worth getting a DVD-RW drive.

I would definitely recommend the Pioneer A108 DVDRW, a little more expensive than the NEC (It's about £50.00) but a firm favourite.

And I'd agree an AMD 64 system would be a better choice, but I would say that wouldn't I? :D Try pricing a system up and see if there's much difference in price between that & Intel.

As for the cables, check out the full motherboard spec at the Asus site. Most motherboards come with all the cables you need, including SATA data cables, so shouldn't be a problem.

It may also be a good idea to find out if the PSU in that case has SATA power connectors, it probably has but it's worth trying to find out.
 

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
5,708
Reaction score
42
In response the Nec 3500 has gone up, but here's a samsung 16 dvd-rw dual layer for under £38 quid.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=72879

And the corsair 512 mb stick of ram is still better than crucial.

Most people say they don't need there pc for gaming, but after building some 40 odd systems over the last 9 years, my experience tells me that after 3 months or so customers usually come asking why they can't play the latest games on there new pc, when they originally asked for a spec just for word processing and surfing the net...just thought you might want to keep that in mind!

Also any problems with the machine you build for your friends will incur there anger when things go wrong, and they usually do just when you don't need them to, you will be their first port of call every time there's a problem.

So i would think first before you build, is it worth that £70-£100 profit...............Wisdom comes with experience.....
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
Oh right, kk

I have gone for da cheaper memory ( So price is lowered to convince his dad lol)

Gone down on da heatsink aswell, anything to make price cheaper for his dad lol

Couldn't see wether the motherboard came with cables, but as you said, i'm willing to risk it aswell as the PSU lol

Where can i get a DVD writer then ? Coz i don't want to spend TOO much one one, for price reasons again ! Also, he said he can give me his old cd writer...

Case should come with fan shouldn't it ?!?!?

Thanx m8

Hopefully knowon by tomorow wether his dad might do it lol ;)
 

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
1,717
crazylegs said:
Also any problems with the machine you build for your friends will incur there anger when things go wrong, and they usually do just when you don't need them to, you will be their first port of call every time there's a problem.
Which is a very good reason NOT to deal with e-buyer... ;)
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
crazylegs said:
In response the Nec 3500 has gone up, but here's a samsung 16 dvd-rw dual layer for under £38 quid.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=72879

And the corsair 512 mb stick of ram is still better than crucial.

Most people say they don't need there pc for gaming, but after building some 40 odd systems over the last 9 years, my experience tells me that after 3 months or so customers usually come asking why they can't play the latest games on there new pc, when they originally asked for a spec just for word processing and surfing the net...just thought you might want to keep that in mind!

Also any problems with the machine you build for your friends will incur there anger when things go wrong, and they usually do just when you don't need them to, you will be their first port of call every time there's a problem.

So i would think first before you build, is it worth that £70-£100 profit...............Wisdom comes with experience.....
Trust me it's worth it... lol i am trying to make as much money as poss, for when i build my own top notch pc in summer holidays probz with everything da BEST ! :)

Trust me, he hardly, spends time on pc anywayz, he aint a computer keen like me :) And if he doe,s i will just reccommend some upgrades :p
 
Ad

Advertisements

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
1,717
Belloni said:
Where can i get a DVD writer then ? Coz i don't want to spend TOO much one one, for price reasons again ! Also, he said he can give me his old cd writer...
The NEC crazylegs recommended should be fine, but don't buy it from e-buyer if you want a hassle-free life ;)

Case should come with fan shouldn't it ?!?!?
The case probably will, yes, but you need a fan to go on top of the cooler/heatsink. You done this before? Oh, hang on, no you haven't :D ;) A decent fan will cost you between 10 and twelve quid.
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
Price (so far i think i have covered everything needed though) : 556pounds (Not including p & p) So i may charge him around the 650 range :) Which is very good lol

Floopy seems a bit much though, 35 pounds ?! and there were ones for 5 pounds ?! Why da BIG difference ?!?!

http://computerprices.co.uk/hardware/pricebrowser.asp?categoryid=FLOPPY ?! lol

Thanx peeps. Hope this will be my first, and many sale of building pcs ! :p I have a website software ! Might make that up aswell lol :) hehe This is FUN !
 

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
5,708
Reaction score
42
floppybootstomp said:
Which is a very good reason NOT to deal with e-buyer... ;)
Point taken floppybootstomp, i fortunately so far have not had any problems with e-buyer but time will tell...
 

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
1,717
crazylegs said:
Point taken floppybootstomp, i fortunately so far have not had any problems with e-buyer but time will tell...
Thrice bitten, twice shy mate ;)

If you no believe take a look at the e-buyer thread in our retailer's ratings.

I'm seriously glad you've had no probs with them, I didn't for almost 18 months, but imo placing an order there is like playing russian roulette.
 
Ad

Advertisements

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
1,717
Belloni: The Vantec 92mm fan is excellent. Try and order most of your parts from one place though if you can, saves on postage.

What's £35.00 and £5.00? No understand. What are we looking at in your second link?

And it may be fun but it's not without problems. One faulty component could be one to two weeks delay for your customer, which doesn't make them a happy bunny at all.

And then you could mess things up yourself. One step at a time, take it nice and slow and easy and all should be OK.
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
1
floppybootstomp said:
Belloni: The Vantec 92mm fan is excellent. Try and order most of your parts from one place though if you can, saves on postage.

What's £35.00 and £5.00? No understand. What are we looking at in your second link?

And it may be fun but it's not without problems. One faulty component could be one to two weeks delay for your customer, which doesn't make them a happy bunny at all.

And then you could mess things up yourself. One step at a time, take it nice and slow and easy and all should be OK.
Yeah i will :)

This is what i mean, look at the prices, they vary alot ?! http://computerprices.co.uk/hardware/pricebrowser.asp?categoryid=FLOPPY

Yeah obviously there wil be problems, first time an all lol ;) I'm sure he won't mind if it's late seeing as i popped da question on him about me building pc today lol :p

Don't woz ! I am takin less then a step at a time !!! lol I have 2 websites on hand, on how to build one, so i should ! (fingers cross) be ok with that, just need to get his windows software, since i have used mine 3 times :( lol

Man i hope his dad does say yes :)
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
6,727
Reaction score
93
Why did not anyone suggest just buying a CPU with a stock cooler? that would make bens life a darn sight easier - don't got to worry about the fan, don't got to worry about the heatsink and don't got to worry about amounts of thermal compound - i doubt he's ever seen a CPU before if this is the first time ;)

You generally don't get an overheating system with stock coolers, and thermal pads are great for building mates PC's

I can reccomend the case and psu from Aria for first time builders - you dont have to worry about the poxy risers getting in the way - its just got a bumpy tray that you screw the motherboard straight on to.

Yeah 64 bit probs worth a look, i'll spec a system up in a bit...
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

PC Build 2
Building a PC 32
Building a PC 4
PC Build Advice 9
Practice PC Build 4
tight pc build 50
Building a new pc 46
Building a pc for friend 37

Top