BSOD Vista Ultimate driving me crazy

SteveC

It started about a two weeks ago. At that time, I did a system restore and it seemed to go away. It started again Sunday. It just goes blue and it says something about divide by zero and reboots. It doesn't ask or anything. It is so fast I cannot read the screen. I went to do a system restore and wow, there is nothing to go back to. Weird! There are no restore points. Huh?

So I start uninstalling software I don't need. I run ccleaner. I go to Windows Live One Care registry cleaner. I go to hpcompaq.com and download new bios for my computer. Then I update the video driver, the audio driver. I install about 5 more that I have forgotten. I run the diagnostics on the harddrive and the memory. They all pass. I run scandisk; it passes.

I make it until this morning and it does it again. I check everything again. I update yahoo messenger. I uninstall more junk. I run more registry cleaner. I stop using sidebar. I get home this afternoon and it has happened without any interaction from me.

I just unloaded more stuff from memory. The only thing I haven't done is uninstall WindowsOneCare. I did stop using my PC as a hub for the circle. I got to have virus protection. Oh yeah, I ran virus check and adaware.exe, etc. No problems found.

Anything else to try.

Bob H

"SteveC" <sconklan.nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]

---------------------------

Put another OS on a separate partition or on a totally different drive, and
see if your computer crashes. Then you'll know if it's hardware or not.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Event Viewer, system and application logs. Look for the error code (BCCode)
and see if a dump was created that can be analyzed. Details of the error can
help point out what is going wrong.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

[...]

Event Viewer isn't very clear. The main error I find around the time of the BSOD and forced reboot is:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="MSFWSVC" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1080</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>5653</EventRecordID>
<Channel>MSFWSVC</Channel>
<Computer>STEVEHP</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>GetPolicy</Data>
<Data>0x8007007A</Data>
<Data>The data area passed to a system call is too small.</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I cannot find anything that says the system crashed and rebooted.