Browsing other Networks when VPN

gurvinder.nijjar

We have an issue with our network. Whenever we have an external user who
comes into our company and then plugs their laptop onto our network and then
dials up and VPN's into their network, we are able to see network through
entire networks. We can see their domain and then browse through their
servers in their domain. We do not knwo why this happens and how we can
stop this. We are a bit worried that the external company maybe also be
able to see our network.

Is this a windows 2000 issue, such as anything to do with browsing or
netbios. Can anyone please suggest.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Gurvinder,

What happens is that when that person does a VPN from your network to theirs, then that
computer becomes the "segment master browser" for their network and this is why you can
see all thier borwse list. Same would happen if you had a machine that went to their network
and VPNed in. Chances are if you clicked on any of their machines in the borwse list, you
would not be able to access them.

The VPN user can turn off the Computer Browsing Service before creating a VPN and then it
will not maintain the browse list. Or their are registry keys to disable that computer from
maintaining a broswe list.

So the software is doing what it is designed to do. Just need to make a configuration change
on the VPN computer if you do not want to see the other network.

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "gurvinder.nijjar" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Browsing other Networks when VPN
'--'Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:31:38 +0100
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'We have an issue with our network. Whenever we have an external user who
'--'comes into our company and then plugs their laptop onto our network and then
'--'dials up and VPN's into their network, we are able to see network through
'--'entire networks. We can see their domain and then browse through their
'--'servers in their domain. We do not knwo why this happens and how we can
'--'stop this. We are a bit worried that the external company maybe also be
'--'able to see our network.
'--'
'--'Is this a windows 2000 issue, such as anything to do with browsing or
'--'netbios. Can anyone please suggest.
'--'
'--'
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.