Viewing Each Other in Network Neighborhood

Jeff Mort

I have 2 domains, both running on (true) W2k servers. The
domains are located in different cities. We have a VPN
tunnel connecting the two networks through our ISP. We
are able to NET USE drives from either server and/or
workstations on either network.

Network One is 192.168.1.0 and has over 25 workstations as
well as 2 additional servers (running SQL and Netware).

Network Two is 192.168.50.0 and has only 4 workstations
and one domain server.

How can we, using the domain controllers, connect the two
networks, share resources (such as printers, a backup
jukebox, cd server, ect.) and allow our users to see the
other network through their network neighborhood?

I know this is possible, but I can't remember how it's
done.

Thanks in advance to all who assist.

Jeff

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

You will need to set up Wins servers (one the larger network would work just
point the servers and clients from both networks to it). Browsing is a
netbios function and you need to be able to resolve the domain 1Bh record
from each domain for this to work. Configuring a Wins server is the easist
way to do this.

Marc Reynolds
Microsoft Technical Support

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Jeff,

Each side needs ot know the other side. Make a secondary zone in DNS for each side. If you
have WINS, set them as replication partners. If you don't have WINS, then place an
LMHOSTS file on each VPN server or DC (PDC) server on each side with the information for
the other domain. The 1b and 1c records.

Thanks,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Jeff Mort" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Jeff Mort" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Viewing Each Other in Network Neighborhood
'--'Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:07:26 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.