Broadband speeds - Advice please.

Reaction score
I am supposed to have a 4G Virgin media connection but my PC appears to be very slow at times.

I have just done a Which Magazine Speed test as follows.
Please, can you advise?

Date of test: 2017-5-30 17:55:40
Response Time: 129ms
Download Speed: 52.9Mbps
Upload Speed: 6.1Mbps

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Molyfar,

When you say 4G, that sounds like a mobile connection? Do you mean fibre broadband from Virgin (which may be bundled with your 4G phone)?

Either way, the download/upload speeds are very quick - but the response time is slower than I would expect.

What is it that seems slow, is it your PC in general, the responsiveness of webpages loading or the speed of downloads? This may help us in recommending things to check :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just tried that speed test, tbh its rubbish. Apparently I have 85Mbps down and 23mbps up with a ping of 55ms.

That is on my FTTC 80/20 line. :)

Molyfar, use this speedtest instead, its much more reliable. http://beta.speedtest.net/

Reaction score
My Security software does not like a link here - tweakbit.net :( Registered as malicious.

Other than that -

http://beta.speedtest.net
PING 34 ms
DOWNLOAD 49.01 Mbps
UPLOAD 5.01 Mbps

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Molyfar,

When you say 4G, that sounds like a mobile connection? Do you mean fibre broadband from Virgin (which may be bundled with your 4G phone)?

Either way, the download/upload speeds are very quick - but the response time is slower than I would expect.

What is it that seems slow, is it your PC in general, the responsiveness of webpages loading or the speed of downloads? This may help us in recommending things to check :).

Facebook is worse and trying to play videos on facebook is awful. load up times for my other programmes vary.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My Security software does not like a link here - tweakbit.net :( Registered as malicious.
No idea what that is about, an advert maybe? I use Ublock Origin, custom host files etc so I don't ever see adverts anywhere though) I dare say Ian will take a look. :)

As for your speed issues, Are you talking about a Virgin Media cabled connection, right? You said 4G but that would mean a mobile data (like your phone) connection.

Its the laptop in your signature we're talking about, yes?

I don't Facebook so I can't comment on video loading times, sorry.

How is the general speed of the laptop? If you use a difference browser (Edge for example) is it still slow?

Reaction score
Virgin Media WiFi connection
My laptop details are in my signature
Speed is reasonable when booting up.
Edge is very bad - I use Chrome and that is better

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Your laptop is reasonably powerful and your connection speeds look OK, so that's quite puzzling. Which anti-virus / anti-malware products are you using on your PC? If you temporarily pause them and try to play one of the problematic Facebook videos, does it work any better?

edit: Are you using WiFi? If so, can you try using a network cable to check if that makes any difference? Be sure to disconnect from the WiFi on your laptop, to be sure it defaults to using the cable.

There's a really sneaky advert on that site - I ended up clicking on an ad instead of starting the test, as they've designed an ad that specifically matches the site design. Very, very naughty.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh you mean the ad/link was on the speedtest site, I though you meant on here.

Either way, you guys should install Adblock plus or if you don't mind a bit of tweaking you can use Ublock Origin - both from the chrome web store. Either will do the job. :)

Ask a Question