Blurred icons

Hi
Some icons in the desktop and in XP menus are blurred, like they are loosing definition and the color.
If I install a new soft the new icon will be sometimes ok (good definition) but for other soft the icon will appear like blurred.
I don't think is a hardware ploblem because when I open any document or play a movie the definition and colors are OK.

It's like that something is affecting the definition of some of the icons.
I'm using XP 2002.

Any ideas ?

thanks

DJS0302

Hi
Some icons in the desktop and in XP menus are blurred, like they are loosing
definition and the color.
If I install a new soft the new icon will be sometimes ok (good definition)
but for other soft the icon will appear like blurred.
I don't think is a hardware ploblem because when I open any document or play
a movie the definition and colors are OK.

It's like that something is affecting the definition of some of the icons.
I'm using XP 2002.

Any ideas ?

thanks

A little more information would be helpful. What graphics card are you using?
What do you have the resolution set at? What's the size and brand name of
yoour monitor?

The note book is a Compaq Presario 1700,with a 17" LCD monitor.
The graphic card is Mobility Radeon from ATI , with driver "ati2dvag.dll"dated 9/4/2001, 8 MB.

The resolution is 1024x 768, color in 32 bits, refresh 60hz, DPI settins is normal 96 DPI.

When I open any type of documents (word, mpg, a web site, etc ) everything is OK, definition and colors are OK.
It is only most of the icons in desktop and most of the icons of toolbars, etc . that are blurred like loosing color.
That is why I don't consider is a hardware problem.

thanks

Christian

:

Hi

The notebook is a CompaQ PResario 1700, with 17" monitor.
The graphic card is Mobility Radeon from ATI Corp, with driver "ati2davg.dll" dated 9/4/2001.
Resolution is set in 1024 x 768, color in 32 bits, refesh 60hz.

All files I open like Word, Web sites, or movies are OK.
But most of the desktop icons and toolbars are blurred, like loosing most of the color. It is not a general failure of the monitor because all applications are OK, it is only in toolbars, XP menus, and desktop icons where I have the problem.

I tried to reinstall Windows (Quick Restores) but the same icons appear blurred.

DJS0302

The notebook is a CompaQ PResario 1700, with 17" monitor.
The graphic card is Mobility Radeon from ATI Corp, with driver "ati2davg.dll"
dated 9/4/2001.
Resolution is set in 1024 x 768, color in 32 bits, refesh 60hz.

All files I open like Word, Web sites, or movies are OK.
But most of the desktop icons and toolbars are blurred, like loosing most of
the color. It is not a general failure of the monitor because all
applications are OK, it is only in toolbars, XP menus, and desktop icons
where I have the problem.

I tried to reinstall Windows (Quick Restores) but the same icons appear
blurred.

The reason I asked you post more information is because I also have blurry
icons. The only thing we have in common is the ATI Radeon graphics card.
Perhaps the latest drivers from ATI's website would solve the problem. I have
noticed one thing. On my machine the icons are only blurry if I have the view
menu set to show them in either tile or thumbnail mode. If I set the view menu
to view as icons or details mode they show up crystal clear. Also like you
said it only happens with certain icons.
My guess is that certain icons are meant to be a certain size and when they're
enlarged as in tile mode they become out of focus and the drivers for the video
card can't adjust the image.

Alex Nichol

Christian said:
Some icons in the desktop and in XP menus are blurred, like they are loosing definition and the color.
If I install a new soft the new icon will be sometimes ok (good definition) but for other soft the icon will appear like blurred.
I don't think is a hardware ploblem because when I open any document or play a movie the definition and colors are OK.

A Check - Start - Run - regedit.exe and open left pane to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
Look in the right pane for Shell Icon BPP - it should be set to 16
If not, double click that line in the Name column, and enter the value
as 16

Hi Alex,

I checked and it is set in 16.

I have installed the latest driver from ATI and now all icons in desktop are OK, only windows toolbars are still blurred.
I think this was the problem and if I install again XP most probably these icons from toolbars will also be OK

thanks

Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Finally, a solution.

Hi.

I found this site trying to solve this problem with my computer. It is one I've experienced before. However, previously I've been able to associate the problem with a graphics driver update that was offered by MS Windows Update. Once I uninstalled the update (and marked that I never wanted to see it again), the problem was fixed.

This time, however, the problem occurred after a huge batch update from the computer manufacturer, and I was unable to uninstall the offending update. Attempts to download earlier graphics software and drivers did not help. By the way, the problem occured with both ATI and Intel graphics (the current one is Intel).

So I did a google search.

And tried the same suggestions offered above. I checked the registry and found my icon sizes were correct. And so forth.

I read the Microsoft website and found the section I quote below. Nothing there fixed the problem. In fact, I had never played with my font sizes as the article suggests.

So I decided, what the hell, let's see if their "cause" can lead me to a solution.

I went to desktop, right-clicked, picked properties, chose "appearance", chose "advanced", picked the "active title bar" and "caption bar" and checked them. Rebooted and changed them back to the original value. Rebooted and nothing happened.

Next, I changed a number of other entries included "button" and various icon measurements; then changed them back.

And (this is what I think did the trick, but what do I know) I changed the "windows and buttons" properties from XP to classical, then back again.

And with this reboot, everything reverted to what is was supposed to be.

I wish I could pick out the one thing that made the difference, but I can't. If others want to experiment, I would love to hear how well it worked.

Good luck!

Michael

From Microsoft:
You may notice that the icons in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar on your Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer become distorted or appear blurry.
http://CAUSE

This problem may occur when you make multiple changes to the Size value of any one of the following components: The Active Title Bar componentThe Caption Button componentNote These components are located on the Advanced Appearance tab of the Display Properties dialog box.
http://WORKAROUND

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods: Log off, and then log back on to your computer.Restart your computer.
http://STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.
Hi

pls see my mail to Alex, it seems that ATI driver is the cause.
--
Christian
Sweden