Blue Screen and no safe mode

Pat Fuge

This morning we were greeted by a blue screen Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,
0x82f2a828, 0x00000000) on start up. I tried to start in Safe mode, safe
mode with CMD prompt etc. Everything ends in the same blue screen.

Tried a DOS boost disk to run a chkdsk with no success. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated

David B.

What exactly do you mean by "Tried a DOS boost disk to run a chkdsk with no
success"?
A true DOS bootdisk will not allow you to access an XP NTFS partition to run
chkdsk. Did chkdsk not run or did it run but not solve the problem?

db.·.. >

a) perhaps using a dos boot
disk, try using any winxp disk
and gain access to the disk
system and prompt via its
"recovery console" option.

then you can retry chkdsk and
fixboot and bootcfg /rebuild.

b) if the above still doesn't
help and "barring" a physical
problem with faulty hardware,
you can also utilize the
"repair install", option with
the win cd to replace missing
or corrupted system files with
genuine ones.

(a)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

(b)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

however there is a caveat
regarding the above, in that
if you o.s. has sp3 installed
then using a sp2 cd or lesser
cannot perform a repair
install.

incidentally here is more
info on that error code:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=0x00000024

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"Pat Fuge" <Pat
(e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Frank-FL

Pat Fuge said:
This morning we were greeted by a blue screen Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,
0x82f2a828, 0x00000000) on start up. I tried to start in Safe mode, safe
mode with CMD prompt etc. Everything ends in the same blue screen.

Tried a DOS boost disk to run a chkdsk with no success. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated

You need NTFS4DOS to run chkdsk without booting into windows. MSDOS,
PCDOS, DRDOS will not work.

Ken Blake, MVP

You need NTFS4DOS to run chkdsk without booting into windows. MSDOS,
PCDOS, DRDOS will not work.

Two points of clarification here:

1. *If* the drive is NTFS, you need a third-party program like
NTFS4DOS. If the drive is FAT32, you do not.

2. NTFS4DOS is only one of several programs that has that capability
of providing NTFS support from within DOS. If he needs such a program,
he doesn't necessarily need that specific one.