Bios Virus????

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea, 2 month old Gateway PC with Windows Vista, on boot up it skips the Gateway splash screen and goes to a Microsoft Windows Error, Windows was interrupted during hardware and software installation. And I get 2 choices Start Windows Vista repair tool or start Windows normally, which ever you choose it goes to a black screen with the Micrsoft words and the working Kit from Knight Rider line going back and forth. Then on the bottom right corner 2 pop windows appear with some Chinese writing. I tried going into safemode and no change, tried changing the boot sequence from bios and same thing. I tried starting up the Windows Vista cd and the splash screen appears and then I go back to the same options and same chinese writing. Now when the computer boots up right before the options a small window appears in the middle with one word in chinese there. Now I am thinking it might be a virus in the bios, anyone have any ideas??????

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Don't think you have a BIOS virus, very few have been proven to exist. ;)

You could, however, have gotten infected with a "rootkit" virus ... these are very stealthy and hard to detect ... one of their failings is in attempting to infect the Vista system by altering the MBR (master boot record), in Vista this is nigh-on impossible, if you have NOT turned off UAC. ;)

Try ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

More info on a possible cause ...
http://blogs.technet.com/antimalwar...r-rootkit-virtool-winnt-sinowal-a-report.aspx

Using the motherboard jumper to "reset" the BIOS may alleviate the problem, but be warned, you will need to know how to set the BIOS back up for your hardware.

You could simply have a bad defective MB ... as this PC is only a couple months old, I would be contacting the manufacturer/supplier. :D

More info on what this Gateway is may help.

:user:

Ask a Question