Bios Sees Memory, XP does not

David Candy

My motherboard supports 1, 2, or 3 DIMMs depending on type. The better the DIMM the fewer it supports.

So I can have 3 low speed DIMMs OR 1 high speed DIMM (or two medium speed).

http://www.uscricket.com
Moe said:
I certainly don't have 6GB of dimms installed. I have 2 sticks of 1GB and
2 sticks of 512MB
(3GB total). I have moved the memory sticks to various slots and
combinations with no change in reporting.
OS is on a 120GBsataHD. Plus two other 120GBsata HDs (no raid).
.
I have read the manual over and over. I have visited the Supermicro site
(mobo manufacturer)
many times with no success. FWIW, the mobo/bios reports just fine, as does
Microsoft Memory Diagnostic.

Thansk, Moe

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
This says 6 gigs. Have you read your manual.

http://www.uscricket.com
Moe said:
David,

MSinfo32 reports:

Total Physical Memory 6,144 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.54GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Page File Space 3.85GB

Thanks, Moe

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
How do you know it only sees 2 GiBytes. Did MSinfo32 tell you this?

http://www.uscricket.com
Moe said:
Thanks David,

I was finally able to find and modify the boot.ini file, It did not
solve
the problem, XP still only sees 2GB.

-Moe

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Well type
notepad c:\boot.ini
in Start Run.

http://www.uscricket.com
Yikes. Sounds like a lot of potential problems. Looks like most are
avoidable with SP2 (which I have).

So, if there is a boot.ini file on a boot floppy, I modify is as
described,
the system will load/run with it so
I can see if it will work before I alter the boot.ini files in XP? That
sounds good.
I am still have trouble finding boot.ini on my system, even after "show
hidden folders" and "Hide protected OS files".
Can you provide a path?

Thanks again for your time and help.

Moe

Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden
files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating
system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both
show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or
Boot.ini).

| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on
the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open
the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM
allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

Alex Nichol

Moe said:
Thanks Harry for the links/tests.
I ran theWMD and passed 6 of 6 tests.
Bios OK's 3072mb, XP shows 2gb exactly.

Another thought - are you checking by using System Information? That
often gives entirely the wrong answer with multiple modules. Check in
Control Panel - System. The figure at the bottom there is what is
really available to Windows