| Supermicro SC733T-645 case
| 2- 3.2, 800fsb XEONs
| 2- 2700 ecc-reg 1gb
| 2- 2700 ecc reg 512mb
| 3- Maxtor SATA 120
| 1- FX3400 Quadro 256
| XP Pro SP2

Harry Ohrn

1 GB is extreme. What is the exact number being reported or misreported? Do
you have any onboard devices that might system memory?

Try running a memory tester. Maybe you have a bad stick. Microsoft has one
that you can download and burn to either floppy or CD and run from system
bootup http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp It runs quite quickly.

Or you can try Memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/

Dave Patrick

Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or Boot.ini).
|
| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

Moe

I just built a new system.

The system runs very fast and nice but,
XP Pro only sees 2GB of memory.
The Bios sees all 3GB and checks OK.
I have tried switching slots around,
adding and removing sticks, but cannot
get XP to see more than 2GB.
Any ideas or help appreciated.

-Moe

Supermicro X6DAL-TG mobo
Supermicro SC733T-645 case
2- 3.2, 800fsb XEONs
2- 2700 ecc-reg 1gb
2- 2700 ecc reg 512mb
3- Maxtor SATA 120
1- FX3400 Quadro 256
XP Pro SP2

Moe

[...]

Always in the root of the system partition (first primary active partition)
Usually C:\

For a floppy to successfully boot Windows XP format the floppy (on Windows
XP) then copy these three files from the root of the system partition to
your floppy.

boot.ini
ntldr
ntdetect.com

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Yikes. Sounds like a lot of potential problems. Looks like most are
| avoidable with SP2 (which I have).
|
| So, if there is a boot.ini file on a boot floppy, I modify is as
described,
| the system will load/run with it so
| I can see if it will work before I alter the boot.ini files in XP? That
| sounds good.
| I am still have trouble finding boot.ini on my system, even after "show
| hidden folders" and "Hide protected OS files".
| Can you provide a path?
|
| Thanks again for your time and help.
|
| Moe

Moe

Thanks Harry for the links/tests.
I ran theWMD and passed 6 of 6 tests.
Bios OK's 3072mb, XP shows 2gb exactly.

-Moe

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Moe said:
[...]

Update....I created a bootable floppy and it does not look like there is a
boot.ini file on it.
I guess I am not understanding how to test with a boot floppy.......

On a side note, the main program I run with this workstation (Lightwave3D)
will almost
always crash or err when it hits about 2GB of data (even on systems showing
2.5GB in XP)
I am hoping the 3GB switch may raise the cieling on this app.

Thanks,

Moe

Dave Patrick said:
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden
files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating
system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both
show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or Boot.ini).
|
| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open
the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM
allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

Dave Patrick

Moe

Well......I tried the 3GB switch and it did not hurt anything, but it did
not help anything either.
XP still only sees 2GB. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for you help time and patience.

-Moe

Steve N.

Moe said:
Well......I tried the 3GB switch and it did not hurt anything, but it did
not help anything either.
XP still only sees 2GB. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for you help time and patience.

-Moe

Did you make sure there was a space before the /3GB ?

The example cited earlier in this thread was in error that regard.

Steve
Always in the root of the system partition (first primary active
partition)
Usually C:\

For a floppy to successfully boot Windows XP format the floppy (on Windows
XP) then copy these three files from the root of the system partition to
your floppy.

boot.ini
ntldr
ntdetect.com

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Yikes. Sounds like a lot of potential problems. Looks like most are
| avoidable with SP2 (which I have).
|
| So, if there is a boot.ini file on a boot floppy, I modify is as
described,
| the system will load/run with it so
| I can see if it will work before I alter the boot.ini files in XP? That
| sounds good.
| I am still have trouble finding boot.ini on my system, even after "show
| hidden folders" and "Hide protected OS files".
| Can you provide a path?
|
| Thanks again for your time and help.
|
| Moe

Alex Nichol

Moe said:
Thanks Harry for the links/tests.
I ran theWMD and passed 6 of 6 tests.
Bios OK's 3072mb, XP shows 2gb exactly.

Run MSConfig.exe and Boot.ini page click Advanced. See if /MAXMEM has
got set

David Candy

Well type
notepad c:\boot.ini
in Start Run.

http://www.uscricket.com

Dave Patrick said:
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden
files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating
system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or Boot.ini).
|
| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM
allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

David Candy

How do you know it only sees 2 GiBytes. Did MSinfo32 tell you this?

http://www.uscricket.com
Moe said:
Thanks David,

I was finally able to find and modify the boot.ini file, It did not solve
the problem, XP still only sees 2GB.

-Moe

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Well type
notepad c:\boot.ini
in Start Run.

http://www.uscricket.com

Dave Patrick said:
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden
files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating
system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both
show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or Boot.ini).
|
| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open
the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM
allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

Moe

Dave Patrick said:
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden
files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating
system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both
show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or Boot.ini).
|
| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open
the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM
allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

David Candy

This says 6 gigs. Have you read your manual.

http://www.uscricket.com
Moe said:
David,

MSinfo32 reports:

Total Physical Memory 6,144 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.54GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Page File Space 3.85GB

Thanks, Moe

Dave Patrick said:
Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden
files
and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating
system
files" The file is located in the root of the system partition.

Also be aware of these issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829364
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._de16d3ec-c437-4628-805f-8945ea598a92.xml.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291988/

You may want to test with a boot floppy first.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks Dave,
|
| I read that yesterday and was not sure what to make of it.
| I have two other workstations also with 3GB installed and they both
show
| 2.5 GB in XP. I never modified anything (like 3GB switch or
Boot.ini).

| I am guessing it has something to do with VM allocation though.
| However, I know very little about these things. I did a search on the
| system for
| the Boot.ini file and could not find it. I am guessing I could open
the
| file
| (if I could find it) in notepad and edit per MS:
| ___________________________________________
| [boot loader]
| timeout=30
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Windows XP Professional/3GB
| _________________________________________________
|
| and or is there another way to safely view and or adjust the VM
allocation
| if this is the problem?
|
| Thanks again,
| -Moe

Moe

I certainly don't have 6GB of dimms installed. I have 2 sticks of 1GB and
2 sticks of 512MB
(3GB total). I have moved the memory sticks to various slots and
combinations with no change in reporting.
OS is on a 120GBsataHD. Plus two other 120GBsata HDs (no raid).
..
I have read the manual over and over. I have visited the Supermicro site
(mobo manufacturer)
many times with no success. FWIW, the mobo/bios reports just fine, as does
Microsoft Memory Diagnostic.

Thansk, Moe