Best Makers?

Reaction score
Hi people!
happywave.gif

This is my first post on this website ;)

I was wondering who makes the best PCs now? :confused:

I've heard Dell have gone down the pan!

Who would you all recommend for overall quality and price?

Or would you recommend making your own?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I was just thinking that very thing mate!

Thanks for the reply! Oh and nice avatar! lol

Do you make your own mate?

Where did you get the parts? Where's the cheapest?

Thanks in advance!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No! ... sorry but "cheap" & computers do not give for a good end result.

There is loads of information withing the Forums, you'll need to read it. ;)

What do you want the PC for ... Games or General work ... in my "personal opinion" there is NO manufacturer who doesn't want to make a profit, even the small individual system builders.

Here is an example of one I "trust" ... have a look ... there are quite a few other "suppliers" that forum members will suggest.

Building a computer yourself has never been about saving money. It is primarily about quality, customization, and compatibility.

All computer manufacturers cut corners somewhere to be competitively priced, and often use proprietary parts that may carry the same name as public ally sold parts, but have been striped of some features and functions to lower cost. Proprietary parts are often used as a profit center by the manufacturer when you need to replace a failed part.

I have yet to see a mass produced computer with an adequately sized power supply. These assembly houses would kill to cut a dollar off the selling price that will not cause a problem during the warranty period.

Those of us who build will buy the highest quality standardized parts we can afford, after much careful research of what is available. A builder is far more likely to be able to configure and maintain their computer properly, and repair any problems that arise. Their machines will also be likely to have a longer useful life.

Too many people buy bargain computers with compromised construction, and then are afraid to even take off the covers to clean or maintain it. Building a computer is just a matter of following instructions, plugging the parts together, and screwing them down.

You don't need to be an engineer or technician to build a PC. ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate!

Lol it does actually look easier than I thought!

I bought a book from WHSmith on how to build PCs and it actually looks quite easy!

I won't build one though until I fully understand all the small details on components, like 0.13 micron on a processor.

There are so many tiny extra details on components and I bet once you know them inside out, you'll be able to build your dream machine!

What do people think of the Quad-Core? It's like £700 but judging from my calculations it's 4 x 2.66 = 10.64Ghz or does it not work like that?

Or is it supposed to be 10.64Ghz but is more around 5Ghz? lol

Will they eventually come down in price?

Also, I've looked at the compatibility of motherboards and the Quad-Core says it can fit on a LGA775 motherboard but when you click the compatibility on Motherboards it states that it's only compatible up to Dual-Core!

So another question lol, AMD or Intel?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
0.13 micron ?! something to do with the size of the CPU die i think, tbh i dont really know what it is and i've built a fair No of systems

building a dream machine takes a load of money and you use the same knowlege you use to build any PC, once you know what you want the PC to do you can find the parts that fit within your budhet and will work well together

Quad-core CPU's sound pretty damn awesome from what i've read on them, unfortunately there isn't really any point in them at the moment for the average person as there isn't any software that can really take full advantage of them

the speeds however dont work quite how you worked out, rather than the speeds adding you have 4 CPU's that run in paralell so you can do 4 tasks all of which are being processed at 2.66Ghz

they should come down in price but i dont think it'll be anytime soon, next summer they should have dropped to a more reasonable price

intel Vs AMD is all personal preference, most people would say AMD but the new intel core duo CPU's are probably the best option right now

Ask a Question