GDPR

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Ian,

Whats your take on the GDPR? I've been seeing this crop up a lot recently and was wondering if you could shed some light as I'm not really sure what it all means...

I've already seen it a few other websites getting worried about it, is it as bad as they're making out?
Is it the sort of thing that would affect PCR and indeed other such sites when it goes live?
Is it something we should we be happy about or is it just another EU ruling?

Here's a couple of links for those who are interested....

https://www.eugdpr.org/
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know too much about this in the wider scope, as I did some reading a while back and it looks like we're not affected too heavily as a forum - we don't require identifiable personal data and we've got tools in place to act on anything legitimate (for example, someone posts their real name/address/etc... and want this removed).

Some of the things in the GDPR seem to be a good idea, like making sure users are informed if there are any data breaches, etc... As this will quickly increase awareness of the problem and force places to take better care of data.

I imagine the biggest impact we'll see will be on larger companies that have poor data handling practices - i.e. places like Sony, Dropbox, etc... have have huge issues in the past and have been able to just say "oops". I don't think that will happen anymore!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I must say, Ian, that I'm really glad that I don't have to deal with all this administrative guff. These EU regulations must take for ever to read through and to digest and understand.

I'm sure it all means well but they tend to get so bogged down with intricate minutiae that it would drive me nuts ! :mad:Hope you've got plenty of spare time to get through it all. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, I asked as I've seen two sites in the last week start chatting about it and how it might affect them going forward.

One of them (not just GDPR but that is part of it) unfortunately is https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/Container.htm - which I use all the time. There is talk on Kitz of it being taken over or adapted in some way. Hopefully it will as its a great resource if you use it. Although it's not essential obviously.

Another is a forum named Basenotes, there was talk about them shutting down due to the GDPR, but I'm hoping that isn't the case either as it seems a little OTT.

Interesting times ahead....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, that's such a shame! I think they're reading too much in to the GDPR, as I don't think the impact is going to be that large for forums, as long as sensible precautions are taken. That said, reading it at face value and I imagine a lot of website owners are going to think it's not worth bothering to run a website if there are additional requirements that could have a big impact.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
gdpr.jpg

https://twitter.com/mutablejoe/status/998241891459194887

:lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
It's amazing, I must have had at least 30 emails, mostly from companies with which I have no knowledge of any previous contact regarding their new GDPR policies. I can only assume that I have had some contact with them in the past, possibly in other names, and have completely forgotten.

Worryingly though to know that all these people still have all your details. God knows what they have been doing with all that info. :eek:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Last Friday's menu (Bank of Finland's staff canteen):

DeB3bzGVAAA741G.jpg

GDPR Soup (puréed lentil soup)
Registrar's Obligation (vegan moussaka)
Data Protection Officer's Special (chicken in curry sauce)
Sensitive Steak & Anonymization Sauce (grilled pork steak with BBQ sauce)
Right To Be Forgotten Treat (ice cream bar)

SOURCE

:drool:

Ask a Question