Best laptop available for under £450

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
I was told having the add on card isnt a problem and that they havent found it to be unreliable and that they dont need to keep activating it etc

Im sure there not too bad surely?

Not sure who 'they' are, but to safely remove the card you have to de-activate so as to remove any risk of damage, such as shorting - you wouldn't start pulling powered up hardware from the back of your PC without turning off would you?

As regards reliability, you may never have a problem, but I have installed several makes of external cards to other peoples laptops in the past, and theres no doubt they are not as convenient or as easy to use as an internal set-up.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Have a look at these from Novatech HERE

Although I've never bought a PC/Laptop from them, I have bought alot of componants in the past and they have a good reputation.

Just realised they don't come with windows - thats another £57.00:rolleyes:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:

Well the one on the left is a Gericom 1st Supersonic - Gericom are German make well known on the continent, but only seem to sell over here through Aldi.

Don't know about the other one.

Yes you can leave it in all the time, but be aware that it sticks out so may cause a problem when packing away/transporting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You really know your stuff, i didnt expect anyone to know any lol.

Anyway im off to bed, xmas shopping bright and early tommorow morning.

Reaction score
dont know if u are still considering the acer one

one of the cons of acer will definetly be after sales support they appear to be very poor in this area

but that laptop does look good im looking to get a laptop too and the same price ur looking at so no doubt ill be reading this thread a lot!

Reaction score
Im swaying towards the HP one as it has a better battery life and integrated wireless internet (i think).

Let me know what you go for, and also what one is better out of the acer one or the HP one.

Thanks

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Seems to have all the features and at the price you're looking for Stuart - only thing I would consider is adding another 256 RAM later on as I've said before.

I see it has a 'Vodafone Offer' attached - is that a free 3G card? - if so thats worth a few bob, and will keep you mobile when away from networks.

Yep the HP one has integrated wireless and I would go for this over the Acer one :thumb:

Reaction score
Cool, yep you get the free 3G card :) I will buy the extra 256mb RAM.

So would you say its the best laptop available for that price? I always do this, i have to make sure i get the best for my money lol. I bet everyone will be glad when i buy one as i will stop constantly posting :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I can't give you a definate on whether its the absolute best I'm afraid - all I can say is that given your requirements and price restrictions, then your not going to get much better I wouldn't have thought - and the free 3G card is a bonus:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like i have made my choice. The HP it is :)

Thanks to everyone for helping. Hopefully i will buy it, if not i will be back :)

Ask a Question