Battlefield 2 and Vista

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried Battlefield 2 under MS Vista?

I've not played it for months, so ironically when I've got far too much work to do I thought I would be a good time to load it up :)

It used to play really well, but now for some reason I'm getting really bad lag and errors saying "there is a problem with your internet connection" whilst in game.

I've googled for it and done the usual tips they recommend, plus patched, lowered settings, disabled AV/Firewall, stood on my head etc... but still no luck.

Single player works great, it's just the online mode that seems to cause problems. Pinging uk servers outside of the game gives me low pings or around 30-50ms.

I'm not too fussed if I can't get it working, but it would be interesting to know if others have having the same problem.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
We ran Battlefield 2 in both its native un-patched state and with the latest 1.3 patch, and both of them seemed to work just fine. There's one significant gotcha that crept up several times in our testing: Punkbuster. The Punkbuster anti-cheating code is a common part of many online games (particularly shooters), and it works by scanning game files to make sure they're not compromised.

Most Battlefield 2 servers have Punkbuster enabled, and when we joined one, we got promptly kicked out of the game with a message saying Punkbuster failed due to "inadequate O/S privelages."

The solution is simple enough: right-click the BF2 icon, choose Properties, and then in the Compatibility tab check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator." After doing this, we encountered no problems joining any server.
... ripped from extremetech

Dunno if that is any help.

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what it does :)

Ask a Question