Bargain of the Century???

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Was at the local tip this morning throwing out boxes i had accumalated when i saw a middle aged man struggling to get a PC out of his boot, i went and gave him a hand and he told me he was throwing his PC away as his house had caught fire and it doesn't work, plus it was covered on the insurance, i promptly gave him £10 for it, as he said it cost him £800 last year.

So once inside there is alot of smoke residue in the case but no real fire damage, the CPU, graphics, RAM and HDD all work, the mobo and PSU do not.

So i now have, Intel E4500 C2D 2.2Ghz, 8600GTS and 2 x 250GB HDD, 2GB Geil RAM, plus the Vista Product key that was still on the case, not bad for a tenner.

Might be worth skulking around the tip for other bargains!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good cooler for the 8600GTS as it super doopa noisy, its an MSI 256mb?

Reaction score
wow lucky you
but come on fella shame on you doing that to an middle aged man like that. I feel sorry for him, you could have at least offered TWENTY quid for it!!

I'll make it a better bargain for you

I'll give you thirty quid for the lot...

now that's 200% profit....
you can't go wrong with that.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but my bro is having the graphics card and the rest is gonna go towards a PC for my lil sis for her birthday.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
wow lucky you
but come on fella shame on you doing that to an middle aged man like that. I feel sorry for him, you could have at least offered TWENTY quid for it!!

I'll make it a better bargain for you

I'll give you thirty quid for the lot...

now that's 200% profit....
you can't go wrong with that.

What !!! No stamps on offer.

laughingsmiley.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
HA,

So anyway the 8600GTS has decided to die, we were watching tv and all we heard was a really high pitched whining noise (fan) and a small pop (???). So my bro needs a replacement, he doesn't do much gaming but would like something similar or slightly better.

I can get a Powercolor HD3850 512mb from my mate for £50 used, have looked around and they are still over £75 new, budget is about £60 but i can't get anything as good for near that.

Any advice

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
HA,

So anyway the 8600GTS has decided to die, we were watching tv and all we heard was a really high pitched whining noise (fan) and a small pop (???). So my bro needs a replacement, he doesn't do much gaming but would like something similar or slightly better.

I can get a Powercolor HD3850 512mb from my mate for £50 used, have looked around and they are still over £75 new, budget is about £60 but i can't get anything as good for near that.

Any advice

If yer willing to go down the ATI route erm I might have 1 or 2 in the old parts bin..No promises though, as this bin is under an assortment of other things in the old work shop (shed)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey,

I think i'm gonna grab this from me mate as it seems a decent deal, but yeah if you could have a look as extra bits always come in handy, just let meknow spec and price please mate.

Cheers

Off for a sneaky nap now i think as its something like my 17th day on nights and we are trying not to lose a £2.5 Million security deal, so i need some sleep.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Off for a sneaky nap now i think as its something like my 17th day on nights and we are trying not to lose a £2.5 Million security deal, so i need some sleep.

Erm what exactly is this night shift job of yours..??? Please do tell if you're going to mention figures like that....I know people and deals could be done etc, you do the math...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S for anybody out there that doesn't know me, I am only mucking about, I know nothing of dodgy goings on...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Basically i am self employed but work for a Company that contracts me out to help other Companys figure out Security Solutions.

I am moving to work for a different company in November (ish) so have been cast aside on nights to work out planning and such. Don't care as i am good at my job and have most of it done so am free to sleep and play games. We have a 42" telly in the lounge so i smuggle my PS3 into work.

Plus they forget that they gave me a secure toughbook so can do most me work at home :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if you want to give me £2.5 Mil then i can try and stay awake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah so anyway let me know about the Cards, cheers matey.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A whining noise followed by a pop sounds like a capacitor blowing to me, not a fan dying.

If the fan wasn't revolving and the card not working then it's likely that capacitor was in one of the power rails.

When I've had fans fail on video cards the cards have still worked and I've replaced the fan.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Okay i will try that.

Make sure the card works first though, not much point replacing the fan if you can't get an image from the card.

The fan is only for cooling, it doesn't influence the image processing directly.

Reaction score
Bargain of the century turning into the nemesis of the decade!
lol

Ask a Question