Backup Program

Peter Buttuls

I successfully installed the backup program by double-clicking on
NTBACKUP.MSI and was able to back up my data, but on pg. 925 of Robert
Cowat's book on Windows XP Home Edition there is a statement :

"And don't forget to mark the System State check box to protect your
Registry and system configuration".

But there was no check box on the backup program, so could someone please
tell me how to back that up "manually" by mentioning the directory where
this information is stored.

Thanks,
Peter

Daave

Peter said:
I successfully installed the backup program by double-clicking on
NTBACKUP.MSI and was able to back up my data, but on pg. 925 of Robert
Cowat's book on Windows XP Home Edition there is a statement :

"And don't forget to mark the System State check box to protect your
Registry and system configuration".

But there was no check box on the backup program, so could someone
please tell me how to back that up "manually" by mentioning the
directory where this information is stored.

It should be there; the window should look like this:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/windows/2006/06/27/graphics/fig1.png

Charles W Davis

Peter Buttuls said:
I successfully installed the backup program by double-clicking on
NTBACKUP.MSI and was able to back up my data, but on pg. 925 of Robert
Cowat's book on Windows XP Home Edition there is a statement :

"And don't forget to mark the System State check box to protect your
Registry and system configuration".

But there was no check box on the backup program, so could someone please
tell me how to back that up "manually" by mentioning the directory where
this information is stored.

Thanks,
Peter
System State backup is only supported on Windows XP Pro.

Charles W Davis

Peter Buttuls said:
I successfully installed the backup program by double-clicking on
NTBACKUP.MSI and was able to back up my data, but on pg. 925 of Robert
Cowat's book on Windows XP Home Edition there is a statement :

"And don't forget to mark the System State check box to protect your
Registry and system configuration".

But there was no check box on the backup program, so could someone please
tell me how to back that up "manually" by mentioning the directory where
this information is stored.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter,

The program that you have downloaded is for the XP Home Edition and it does
backup the System Settings (also called Automatic System Recovery Backup),
but on XP Home there is no recovery feature rendering it inoperable.

For more information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302894

Twayne

Peter Buttuls said:
Peter,

The program that you have downloaded is for the XP Home Edition and
it does backup the System Settings (also called Automatic System
Recovery Backup), but on XP Home there is no recovery feature
rendering it inoperable.
For more information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302894

I don't know what your'e getting at, but if backup can back it up, it
can restore it as long as Shadow Copy Services are running.
A backup of C: complete will of course include everything on the
drive including the System State files, again as long as Shadow Copy
Services are running.

I can't verify Home has no System State backup ability right now, that
machine is down, but creating a new Restore Point is very close to the
same thing as long as the machine is running correctly at the time.

ComputerChica

-

http://tinyurl.com/3vvzg-

I don't know what your'e getting at, but if backup can back it up, it
can restore it as long as Shadow Copy Services are running.
A backup of C: complete will of course include everything on the
drive including the System State files, again as long as Shadow Copy
Services are running.

I can't verify Home has no System State backup ability right now, tha

machine is down, but creating a new Restore Point is very close to th

same thing as long as the machine is running correctly at the time.

Okay WHOA! I'm so excited right now that I came upon this thread.
have been racking my brain trying to figure out this exact thing. M
friend turned me on to this forum and I have to say that its a freakin
miracle!

Thank you so much for this! Shadow Copy Services - wow - okay. I kno
this is going to help me so much. All I know is that if I didn't find
solution - I was about ready to toss my computer out the window!

Have a great night