Backing up saved games for a system restore

Reaction score
hi, I have to carry out a system restore due to my IP Address nit being renewable. How do I backup saved games, for example I'd like to keep my saved game for LOTR the battle for middle earth.

Cheers!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think saved games should be wiped with a system restore (you do mean the type for Windows XP?), unless this game happens to save to the registry (which is unlikely).

You can always try it, and then roll back the system restore if you game is overwritten?

Reaction score
Papa Smurf said:
hi, I have to carry out a system restore due to my IP Address nit being renewable. How do I backup saved games, for example I'd like to keep my saved game for LOTR the battle for middle earth.

Cheers!

still got the problem then?

im very sure a system restore will sort out the problem however u will need to look carefully how far back of a date u need to go!

Reaction score
Sorry, i mean a complete system restore where I delete everytihng from my PC and take it back to its original factory settings! Scary stuff I know but looks like it has to be done!

Reaction score
Papa Smurf said:
Sorry, i mean a complete system restore where I delete everytihng from my PC and take it back to its original factory settings! Scary stuff I know but looks like it has to be done!

so did system restore not work then?

if ur doing this then i think u will need to look into my documents folder for ur saved game

but let me tell u thats TOO LONG its weeks/months of work to sort out i woulndt do this untill last resort.

Reaction score
Sorry I've been really stupid, whenever I've been talking about system restore I've meant taking it back to factory settings! whats that really called? I tried the system restore u mean before I had my viruses removed and it wouldn't work, but haven't tried it since the viruses have been removed. I'll try it now!

Reaction score
Yeah, using my recovery disk to completely start again, that's what PC World and PC Medic have told me to do.
Just tried system restore again and it won't work, everytime I try it says '

Your computer cannot be restored to:
29th January 2005(or other date)
System Checkpoint

No changes have been made to your computer.

To choose another restore point, restart System Restore.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're reformatting your disk and reinstalling an operating system, obviously you'll lose everything.

Saved games vary from game to game. Sometimes they're saved to a seperate folder that the game installation places in 'My Documents' and sometimes you'll find them in the main game directory, lurking in a folder somehwere.

It may help to log on to the game's website and check out their FAQ's or forum, you'll probably find an answer there.

Or just go to C Drive/Program files/ LOTR/ Players or whatever and look for the saved games folder.

Good luck :)

PS: Other things to consider saving 'Favourites' with all your favourite Internet site bookmarks, your e-mail and your e-mail contacts or addresses.

Reaction score
Given up on system restore now, just won't seem to work. Will definitely have to restore my PC tofactory settings! What a pain up the ####! All because of some virus created by somebody for no good reason!

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
PS: Other things to consider saving 'Favourites' with all your favourite Internet site bookmarks, your e-mail and your e-mail contacts or addresses.

How do I backup my favourites? Opened up my favourites but can only select one at a time. Anything else I should consider backing up? Only thing I've backed up is My Documents.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Control Panel/Folder Options/View/Select 'Show Hidden files and Folders' within 'Hidden Files and Folders' folder.

This enables you to see all hidden stuff, you can put this back to original setting afterwards, if you prefer.

Then: C Drive/Documents and Settings/Main User Name (usually your name) and there it is, the yellow star labelled 'favourites' holds all your favourite Internet sites and links.

Just right click on the star, copy and paste to save somewhere.

Then when you reinstall, copy and paste all the contents of your saved folder to the newly created empty folder.

All this, assuming you're using Internet Explorer and your main operating system is installed on C drive.

Reaction score
Great thanks a lot, done that now.

I've now backed up My Documents, Favourites and a couple of things off of the C drive, don't need to backup emails etc as it's all on yahoo.
Anything else I should backup?
Thanks for helping!

Reaction score
Papa Smurf said:
Great thanks a lot, done that now.

I've now backed up My Documents, Favourites and a couple of things off of the C drive, don't need to backup emails etc as it's all on yahoo.
Anything else I should backup?
Thanks for helping!

any applications that u have?

also look out for files scattered over places
take a bit of time to look around ur harddrive and see if theres any important files that u will need to back up.

worse thing would be just after u format u remember that u have important files in a folder, then there is nothing u can do, so be very very sure.

Reaction score
I hate all this! Will have a couple more looks but think I've got everything, I'm never gonna be completely sure though. Not even sure where all my software disks are, e.g. MGI Photosuite and other programs where you never use the disks!

Reaction score
No couldn't find it, but searching on the EA website now to see if I can find anything there.

Reaction score
No I give up!! Don't think I'll ever be playing that game again then, I'm not one to start all over!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Papa Smurf said:
No I give up!! Don't think I'll ever be playing that game again then, I'm not one to start all over!

That's a bugger :(

Give it one last try, search the main games diectory, look in user, profile, stuff like that. In short, search every part of it, it's probably in there somewhere.

Those save games can be a bit awkward to find, I thought the Half Life 2 saved games were a bit tricky to locate, but they were there.

Reaction score
I have had the same problem a couple of month's ago. If you look in this folder you sould find the saved games.

C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth Files

If you want to find it you must see all the file's on de disk.

(Show Hidden files and Folders)

Ask a Question