Still With AGP

CSB

Reaction score
Hi all

I have finally got round to updating my Mobo's BIOS, and now have the 3.2Ghz P4 (Prescot core) in and working dandy (at stock speed and not overclocked as of yet)

My next steps is to get some more system memory, but more improtant at the moment is getting a newer graphics card, at the mo I have a Asus Geforce FX5700 AGP running, this is fine for games like GTA San andreas, but for other's like LOTR Battle For Middle Earth 2 it ain't so great

So my question is to everyone who is reading this, what is the best AGP 8X graphics card left out there on the market that I could get to max out the Mobo's AGP potential ???

I should also include that it is an AGP Pro 8x slot on the Mobo, plus the Mobo's manual says to only install Graphics cards that are +0.8V or +1.5V, and that it doesn't surport 3.3V AGP cards

Any recomendations would be greatly welcome

Rob aka CSB

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Were it myself, I'd go for any of the first two on this list.

You could go for the most expensive one but I don't think 'silent' is worth the extra money.

The first card, BFG 7600 GS with 512Mb memory for £104.00 seems like good value to me.

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks alot FBS, If I was to go with one from the top 2 on that list (which I most likely will), I'd probably go for the second as it has the 16 pipelines and a faster memory speed

As for the 1Gb PC3200 (DDR 400) I want to get, what brand you think is best to go for???, I have been looking at this page for a 1GB module but not sure which one is best to go for http://www.overclock.co.uk/home.php?cat=446

The MOBO is ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I favour Corsair and Crucial memory but Kingston and OCZ make good RAM as far as I know.

Basically anything on that page link will be ok, choose to suit your budget, generally speaking the more you spend the better it will be but even the budget stuff is good.

Personally, I'd go for this one but that's just me.

CSB

Reaction score
Yeah I like the dual channel memory in the link FBS, but I was thinking wouldn't it be better to get a single 1GB module, as I was thinking (within a certain time period) to max the board out with the full 4GB

But then again, as the MOBO can only take DDR and not DDR 2 etc, would I be wasteing my money in the long run as it would then become old hardware???

Technology advances way too fast for my budget :( tut

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would go for the ram in flops link. I have the same but in 2x1gb CAS2, Corsair RAM is good. :)

You won't/don't need 4gb RAM.

CSB

Reaction score
Hi V_R,

Would that memory (i.e yours in link you gave) work fine in a ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE MOBO, my guess is that it would but just want someone elses opinion, Thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, it would be fine. Budget is key here the link flops posted is about £100 the link i posted is about £200.

What have you got at the mo, 512? Personally i think 1GB would complement your system nicely.

FWIW i'd go for the 7800GS with the memory in flops post. :)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for both your recommendations Flops and V_R, you've both helped me alot with this, When I can afford it I'll go with what you'd both choose i.e Flops Memory link and the Second in list of AGP Graphics

I won't bother trying to get the full 4GB system memory fitted now, sounded like overkill anyway

Rob aka CSB

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good choices Rob.

Don't drag your heels with the AGP card though, they may not be around forever before PCI-E cards will be the only ones available.

CSB

Reaction score
Yeah your right about the AGP Flops (Only a moron would say you wern't), hopefully I'll have it within the next 4 weeks

Then will sell the GeforceFX 5700 on ebay if anyone would want it lol

Rob

Last edited:

Ask a Question