avg still on my laptop!

Reaction score
Hi

I did have a search of this forum and noticed a few people have had probelms with AVG I'm just wondering if anyone has had this and can advise me. Will be able to check in again later today so would be grateful for nay suggestions you have. I am running Windows 98 on my Acer travelmate laptop. I recently took up Talk Talk's broadband offer and tried to install their 3 month trial of antivirus and firewall softwear from the CD which installs all the connection software. However I couldn't install it, no error message just nothing happens. I went online and downloaded a 1 month trial of Panda firewall and AV which a friend recommended to me now when I tried to install it I got a message saying it couldn't install becasue of a conflicting programme - AVG. Now I uninstalled AVG (I was using the free version) over a month ago becasue I was having problems each time I downloaded the updates and only have adaware at the moment. I can't find any AVG files ( I did a search using 'find' from the start-up menu and also looked in my programmes folder). I am now concerned I won't be able to use broadband unless I can install some kind of AV software but am relucatnat to purchase something in case I can't install it. Has anyone else had this problem with AVG - have I missed something? Many thanks in advance.
Lorraine

Reaction score
Did you remove AVG by going into Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
Are you using Windows 98 or 98SE?

Talk-Talk DOES NOT support PC's running 98 or 98SE!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. First off I used the control panel add/remove program to uninstall then also did a search using the find command on the start menu just in case there was anything uninstall didn't get and it turned up a few files one of them being a program file so after deleting this file I really thought I'd got rid of everything but obviously I haven't becasue I can't seem to install any other Av software (talk talk or Panda) - any thoughts?

Second question - yes I'm running windows 98SE the tech guys at Talk Talk said it would be OK and I have been able to connect to broadband Ok but am frightened to use the connection for any length of time as I'm so exposed without AV /Firewall. What's puzzling me is why I cannot install any new AV software when I have gotten rid of the AVG, even if I can't load the Talk Talk AV package I should be able to run what I've downlaoded from the net but can't. It's driving me bonkers - any more help much appreciated people.

Thanks
L
feckit said:
Did you remove AVG by going into Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
Are you using Windows 98 or 98SE?

Talk-Talk DOES NOT support PC's running 98 or 98SE!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Download & run this to make sure AVG is gone ...

http://wallingsupport.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=14

user.gif

Reaction score
Talk-Talk talking bull, again

Taken from the Talk Talk Website!!

PC Minimum Requirements
Pentium 200MHz processor or equivalent
128MB system memory (RAM)
16-bit sound card
Four-speed CD-ROM drive
800x600, 256 colour display/video card
150MB free on hard drive
Windows 2000, Pro or XP
A spare USB port

It will be however nice to see when/if you get on the service from them.
Please let us know when you do as feedback is always good to have:D

Reaction score
Hi

Many thanks for this link. I downloaded this last night and ran it this morning. It has installed AVG on my laptop , on the site I downloaded it from it says "Save the file to your desktop. Once downloaded locate "avg70free.exe" on your desktop and double left click on it. Once running, select "Uninstall" from the list of options.". However there are no options that I could see the software just installed as normal it didn't give me an opportunity while it was installing to unistall or do they mean run it and then go to Add/Remove programs in my control panel and try unistalling it again while its running? Sorry not trying to be deliberatly obtuse (!) just want to be clear . Thanks again.

muckshifter said:

Reaction score
Hi there, you're right in that at present this is the info on their website and it was recently changed to exclude windows 98SE , this is because microsoft is no longer providing updates for this OS. At the time I signed up in June of this year this wasn't the case and the software Talk Talk sends out also states that windows 98se is Ok - I guess they are covering themselves. However due to my current problems I haven't run the connection for longer than 10 minutes.....

L

feckit said:
Taken from the Talk Talk Website!!

PC Minimum Requirements
Pentium 200MHz processor or equivalent
128MB system memory (RAM)
16-bit sound card
Four-speed CD-ROM drive
800x600, 256 colour display/video card
150MB free on hard drive
Windows 2000, Pro or XP
A spare USB port

It will be however nice to see when/if you get on the service from them.
Please let us know when you do as feedback is always good to have:D

Reaction score
Well hope goes OK with Talk talk, i prefer to keep my phone calls with them but my internet separate.
And anymore help you require we are only a mouse click away:D

Reaction score
hi yes I still do need some help - can you advise on my response to muckshifter's post above as i'm not sure how to get rid of Avg now I've downloaded it again - am i supposed to uninstall it while its running?

Thanks

feckit said:
Well hope goes OK with Talk talk, i prefer to keep my phone calls with them but my internet separate.
And anymore help you require we are only a mouse click away:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
Un-install it through:
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programes. :thumb:
Yup ... sorry, :blush: I did think it was an un-install as Norton has, but it is usual practice if a program does not uninstall properly to re-install & then un-install.

Also download CCleaner, it will get rid of a load of left-over crap. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi

I have just tried to uninstall it again through add/remove program and I still have the same problem. In fact I've gone in to my downlaoded files folder on c drive and the AVG70free icon is still there - the file size in 16.5MB . So its not (all?) been removed by the add/remove program. Obviously I could just delete it but I'm wondering if i've missed something in those instructions I quoted above from th site muckshifter directed me to. I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks Lorraine.
feckit said:
Un-install it through:
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programes. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok ...

What you are missing is when installing AVG there is an option at the moment to UN-install

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5465/lng/us/tpl/v5

If you want to install or uninstall AVG components (e-mail plug-in for example), you have to run AVG installation using SETUP.EXE from AVG7 directory (directory with installed AVG) or using a downloaded installation file (http://www.grisoft.com -> Download section).
Running the installation process recognises the existence of installed AVG7 and the “Add/Remove Components“ option is offered.
Anybody using AVG Free here @ Pcreview who can assist any further, please step forward. :)

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi

thanks for sticking with this. I am now downloading the 71 version from your link below so hopefully when I try to install it I will see the uninstall option. I hope this will also uninstall the files from the 70 version which I still seem to have on my laptop. Anyway I will post again when I have run it.

muckshifter said:
Ok ...

What you are missing is when installing AVG there is an option at the moment to UN-install

Anybody using AVG Free here @ Pcreview who can assist any further, please step forward. :)

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Lorraine.1 said:
Hi

I have just tried to uninstall it again through add/remove program and I still have the same problem. In fact I've gone in to my downlaoded files folder on c drive and the AVG70free icon is still there - the file size in 16.5MB . So its not (all?) been removed by the add/remove program. Obviously I could just delete it but I'm wondering if i've missed something in those instructions I quoted above from th site muckshifter directed me to. I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks Lorraine.
If I'm understanding this correctly, that large 16.5MB file is simply the install file - the uninstall won't remove that by itself, so you can simply delete it and the icon will go away :)

However, is AVG still running (with the icon in the corner)?

Reaction score
hi Ian

OK well I will delete that then after I've installed and uninstalled this version I'm still downlaoding (!), the original problem was that I had unsinstalled AVG but couldn't install any new AV/Firewall as I was getting a msg that AVG program was (still) on my laptop but I didn't understand where the files could be as I couldn't find any so all this is really an attempt to get rid of it thoroughly.

Ian Cunningham said:
If I'm understanding this correctly, that large 16.5MB file is simply the install file - the uninstall won't remove that by itself, so you can simply delete it and the icon will go away :)

However, is AVG still running (with the icon in the corner)?

Reaction score
Hi

I installed this version below, there was no option while it was installing to uninstall it - it just seemed to install as normal. After it had installed I uninstalled it using start menu then program then the unistall option on the menu but I had tried this before anyway. Anyway, after doing that and restarting computer I used the find command from the start menu and this turned up 5 more AVG files which I deleted , one of them being a program file. I tried to install my talk talk Av software and as before I couldn't, I tried the av panda software and got the same message again telling me there was a conflicting program on my machine which it named as AVG anti- virus. I really do not know what to do. I don't want the AVG stuff as I had too many problems before downloading updates for it but without any AV/firewall I can't use my broadband connection. Any other suggestions?
muckshifter said:
Ok ...

user.gif

Reaction score
Lorraine.1 said:
Any other suggestions?
Scream very loudly;)

Will let Muckshifter or Ian deal with this their the professionals, not sure which one is bodie though:confused:

Reaction score
:wall: i have to stop with this as feel exhausted already and haven't actually started any of my work for today! I will check back late afternoon for any thoughts suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Lorraine

feckit said:
Scream very loudly;)

Will let Muckshifter or Ian deal with this their the professionals, not sure which one is bodie though:confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous ... :rolleyes:

I wish program writers would write a decent un-installer for their programs.

OK, go get CCleaner install and run it on the default settings to start with ... then have a look at its Tools/Startup, do you see AVG/Grisoft listed, if so use CCleaner to uninstall it.

The only other alternative is to edit the Windows registry yourself, no mean task for a beginer as you can quite easily kill windows. If you feel up to it, 'search' for anything to do with AVG and Grisoft.

There is one AV program that may actually help uninstall AVG and that is F-Secure it has its own anti-spyware built-in and, I think, offers to un-install any conflicting programs ... and it is a market leader, not sure if they have a free version, but they will let you try it our ... nowt to loose here.

user.gif

Ask a Question