AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus Update Question

whayface

AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus Update Question

Everytime I try to update AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus through the AVG 6.0 control
panel lately it tells me that it can not find an automatic connection.

I have tryed it using my DSL connection, with AOL running through my DSL
conection, with AOL running through a dialup connection through the system
modem and with my DSL connection running AND AOL running through dialup at
same time and get same results" No automatic connection found.

Any suggestions PLEASE?!?!

Tra Lala

whayface said:
AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus Update Question

Everytime I try to update AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus through the AVG 6.0 control
panel lately it tells me that it can not find an automatic connection.

I have tryed it using my DSL connection, with AOL running through my DSL
conection, with AOL running through a dialup connection through the system
modem and with my DSL connection running AND AOL running through dialup at
same time and get same results" No automatic connection found.

Any suggestions PLEASE?!?!

Here is a repost of a message from a few days ago that should help
with your updates-

As the Free version update server seems to be inundated at the moment
with the number of updates being released it would be useful to use
other servers at Grisoft, but only 1 server is given for updating in
the free Version.
Avid users of AVG might be interested in this :-

Substitute the following into the url.ini file found in the AVG
folder:-

[SERVER_NAME]
1=free.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
Actual URL=3

Then shutdown and restart AVG. You will now have 3 servers to choose
from.

<paste>

Hope this helps.

Kerodo

(e-mail address removed) (whayface) wrote in
AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus Update Question

Everytime I try to update AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus through the AVG 6.0
control panel lately it tells me that it can not find an automatic
connection.

Any suggestions PLEASE?!?!
There was a problem with one of the recent AVG versions. Try
manually downloading and installing the latest release and you should be
fine. Copy down your license # from the old version so you can enter it
when it asks you for it.

Ed

Tra said:
whayface said:
[...]

Absolutey great advice. Works a treat. Thanks.

TINY

there is another update today to 406
Ed said:
Tra said:
whayface said:
[...]

vic

I already posted this in alt.comp.freeware but looks like this might help
you too. Also I've found that sometimes while I'm trying to update that if
I open a browser and refresh it a couple of times that does the trick.

I found these bits on the groups at GRC "news.grc.com" in "grc.security" and
they got me updated right away. If you do the second one first you won't
have to update manually. You need to shut down AVG and restart it for the
new ini to take affect. Once you do that you will be able to get the update
right away. The url is good to have as a backup.
vic

1. The free version updates are available here...

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?lng=fe

2. Navigate to your AVG install directory and rename your existing url.ini
file
to url.iniold.

Copy the following and paste into notepad and save it as url.ini. Put this
new file into your AVG install directory. You'll now have 3 options to
select from with www.grisoft.com being the default.

[SERVER_NAME]
1=free.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
Actual URL=3

bloned

vic said:
[...]

Update on your post: be able to choose from 4 servers with this:

[SERVER_NAME]
1=free.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com
4=akamai_grisoft

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe
4=http://www.grisoft.com/akm/softw/60/xx/
Actual URL=4

HIH

weallhatebillgates

bloned said:
vic said:
[...]

1=http_fe_free.grisoft.cz
2=ftp_fe_ftp.grisoft.cz
3=ftp_fe_ftp.grisoft.com
4=http_fe_www.grisoft.com
5=http_fe_www.grisoft.com/akm
6=ftp_xx_ftp.grisoft.cz
7=ftp_xx_ftp.grisoft.com
8=http_xx_www.grisoft.com
9=http_xx_www.grisoft.com/akm

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe/
2=ftp.grisoft.cz/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
4=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
5=http://www.grisoft.com/akm/softw/60/fe/
6=ftp.grisoft.cz/pub/softw/60/xx/
7=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/xx/
8=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/xx
9=http://www.grisoft.com/akm/softw/60/xx/
Actual URL=3

m_sayer_

Hi
I don't know if this works, but this was sent to me recently from a friend
who has also had trouble receiving AVG antivirus updates.
Personally, I haven't had problems with updates, but I am saving it just in
case. I'm told it works, but don't quote me on that.

Go into the AVG folder (it could be named Grisoft), and rename the URL.INI
as URLOLD.INI. Copy the following with notepad and save it as URL.INI in the
same folder.

[SERVER_NAME]
1=free.grisoft.cz
2=www.grisoft.com 1
3=www.grisoft.com 2
4=download.grisoft.cz
5=ftp.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/akm/softw/60/fe/
4=http://download.grisoft.cz/softw/60/xx/
5=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/xx/
Actual URL=5

Close AVG, then open it again...you will then have more servers to get your
updates, including grisoft.com. You will not be limited to grisoft.cz.

Hope this helps.

AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus Update Question

Everytime I try to update AVG 6.0 Free Anti-Virus through the AVG 6.0
control
panel lately it tells me that it can not find an automatic connection.

I have tryed it using my DSL connection, with AOL running through my DSL
conection, with AOL running through a dialup connection through the system
modem and with my DSL connection running AND AOL running through dialup at
same time and get same results" No automatic connection found.

Any suggestions PLEASE?!?!

Bloned

m_sayer_ said:
[...]

and I had the similar problem with "no connection available" untill I chose
a different dl-server, so switching to another one might do the trick.
HTH
grtzBloned