Automating Office 2003 with office 2010

Reaction score
I am trying to embed Excel .xls file objects that contain VBA code in pages of a .ppt file. Using the menus insert -> object -> from file.
This works fine if I use Powerpoint 2003, but when I try to use Powerpoint 2010 I can get the object inserted but when I try to edit it, I get the following errors:

First in Excel:
Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost.

Then in PowerPoint:
Microsoft PowerPoint can't start the application required to open this object.
An error occurred and this featue is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now?
I click "no" as I know the function is fine.

then another PowerPoint error:
There isn't enough memory available to read Worksheet.

The files are stored on same disk drive.

My troubleshooting so far:
1. I have set all macro security for both Excel and Powerpoint 2003 and 2010 to none.
2. I have checked any boxes that state trust VBA objects.
3. If I insert the .xls object using PowerPoint 2003 on another system and then re-open the ppt file using 2010, I can then edit the .xls object.
4. If I convert the .xls file to .xlsm, then insert, it will work fine.
5. PowerPoint 2010 can insert and edit .xls objects that do not contain VBA code.
6. I set the references in the Powerpoint VB editor to include Excel object library, no change.
7. I have installed 2003 on the same system as 2010 (Win 7), and it will not work then, even in the 2003 applications.
8. I have installed 2010 on the Win XP system and it did not work there either.
9. I tried dragging and dropping the xls file onto the ppt page, that results in 7 of the 'Error accessing file. . ' messages before it inserts the object.
10. If I insert the object in 2010, then try to edit the object on the 2003 system, I get the same edit errors.
11. I can create a new Excel 97-2003 worksheet object, then add a macro to it after it is inserted and it will edit fine. It only errors when inserting from file.
12. I am able to successfully insert and edit the excel file into a Word 2010 document.

To reproduce the problem, open/create a powerpoint file (can be ppt or pptx) with PowerPoint 2010. Then insert any xls 2003 file that contains some VBA code (I used a macro that typed 'hello world' into a cell). Insert the file as an Excel 97-2003 worksheet object. After the object is inserted, select to edit the worksheet object. That is when the errors will occur.

Windows 7 system details: OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Office ver - 2010 Professional Plus 32-bit
Intel core2duo cpu
4GB ram

Windows XP system details: OS - Windows XP Pro SP3
Office ver - 3002 Standard Edition SP3
Virtual machine on Oracle VM VirtualBox

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Erick

Ask a Question