Automatic Adminstrator logon

G

I have 4 users on my PC, my wife and I are administrators (as individual logons with administrator priviledges, not with the Administrator logon), the 2 kids are Users. When I start the PC it goes to the "starting windows" screen and looks like it hangs. However, if I Alt+Tab, then behind it is a screen with the good old "Cntrl+Alt+Del" type logon screen with Administrator as the account name, all is greyed out because in front of it is an error message saying "could not log on the administrator..., etc". Once I click OK then I get the correct logon screen with 4 users in a column to select from.

I have tried looking for somewhere in the Administrative tools/Local Security Policies, but the setting "Recovery console:Allow automatic administrative logon" makes no diference, neither enable or disable.

G

Click on Start_Run

Tyoe CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

Click on the 'Advanced Tab' and choose down the botton

Require Ctrl+Alt+Del to login and this should do it for you
-----Original Message-----
I have 4 users on my PC, my wife and I are administrators
(as individual logons with administrator priviledges, not
with the Administrator logon), the 2 kids are Users. When
I start the PC it goes to the "starting windows" screen
and looks like it hangs. However, if I Alt+Tab, then
behind it is a screen with the good old "Cntrl+Alt+Del"
type logon screen with Administrator as the account name,
all is greyed out because in front of it is an error
message saying "could not log on the administrator...,
etc". Once I click OK then I get the correct logon screen
with 4 users in a column to select from.
I have tried looking for somewhere in the Administrative
tools/Local Security Policies, but the setting "Recovery
console:Allow automatic administrative logon" makes no
diference, neither enable or disable.

G

Thanks, but I don't want the Cntrl+Alt+Del type of logon (too hard for my young boys)... I want the new style of logon (Pick from 4 pictures and names). The problem is that there is an error occuring with the Administrator logon (which should not be logging on).

I have seen, in other posts, reference to a bug in SP1 (& SP1a) that Windows is having problems with a blank password. The passwords for the 2 boys is blank, so (when I get home) I will try giving them a single character password each. Has anyone tried this?

G

In order to have pictures for your users instead of the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen, your computer must be set up as part of a workgroup instead of a domain. Try the following steps
1. Right-click "My Computer" on the deskto
2. Go to "Properties
3. Click the "Computer Name" ta
4. Click the "Change" button near the botto
5. Under "Member of" click the "Workgroup" radio button and type in a nam
6. Click OK and until prompted to restart computer, if not, do a manual restar
7. Follow Richard's instructions on last reply but uncheck "Require Ctrl+Alt+Del

----- Richard wrote: ----

Thanks, but I don't want the Cntrl+Alt+Del type of logon (too hard for my young boys)... I want the new style of logon (Pick from 4 pictures and names). The problem is that there is an error occuring with the Administrator logon (which should not be logging on)

I have seen, in other posts, reference to a bug in SP1 (& SP1a) that Windows is having problems with a blank password. The passwords for the 2 boys is blank, so (when I get home) I will try giving them a single character password each. Has anyone tried this?

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

While in CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 Check the box Users must enter a username and password..... This should prevent the autologon.

Ask a Question