Unable to logon as Administrator

Running XP Home on home pc. I have one user with Administrator priveleges.
However when i try to logon as Administrator I get a message about
restrictions on this account. I have no password on Administrator. Can logon
in Safe mode as Administrator.
WHat did I do wrong? :-(
Thanks...
Deva

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
Devahome said:
Running XP Home on home pc. I have one user with Administrator
priveleges. However when i try to logon as Administrator I get a
message about restrictions on this account. I have no password on
Administrator. Can logon in Safe mode as Administrator.
WHat did I do wrong? :-(
Thanks...
Deva

Please post the exact text of the error message, in full.

Nepatsfan

message
Running XP Home on home pc. I have one user with
Administrator priveleges. However when i try to logon as
Administrator I get a message about restrictions on this
account. I have no password on Administrator. Can logon in
Safe mode as Administrator.
WHat did I do wrong? :-(
Thanks...
Deva

You did nothing wrong. Windows XP Home Edition only allows use
of the built-in Administrator account in Safe Mode. If you try
to logon to that account in Normal Mode you'll receive a rather
vague error message about "account restrictions" preventing you
from logging on. Bottom line, what you're seeing is normal
behavior.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
Nepatsfan said:
message

You did nothing wrong. Windows XP Home Edition only allows use
of the built-in Administrator account in Safe Mode. If you try
to logon to that account in Normal Mode you'll receive a rather
vague error message about "account restrictions" preventing you
from logging on. Bottom line, what you're seeing is normal
behavior.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

....duh - I didn't notice that the OP had written XP Home. Thanks.

Thanks for the information. I did a search on MS site and found two
interesting notes:
kb316385 and 290109/EN_US.
If I read these correctly I should be able to fix it where I can use the
administrator id after doing what these say. Unfortunately it did not work.
But my main concern has been answered - thanks for the help.
Cheers...
Deva

Nepatsfan said:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
In

...duh - I didn't notice that the OP had written XP Home.
Thanks.

You're welcome.

Nepatsfan

Nepatsfan

You're welcome.

Nepatsfan

message
Thanks for the information. I did a search on MS site and
found two interesting notes:
kb316385 and 290109/EN_US.
If I read these correctly I should be able to fix it where I
can use the administrator id after doing what these say.
Unfortunately it did not work. But my main concern has been
answered - thanks for the help.
Cheers...
Deva

Nepatsfan said:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
In Nepatsfan <[email protected]> typed:
message
[...]

Shenan Stanley

Devahome said:
Running XP Home on home pc. I have one user with Administrator
priveleges. However when i try to logon as Administrator I get a
message about restrictions on this account. I have no password on
Administrator. Can logon in Safe mode as Administrator.
WHat did I do wrong? :-(

In Windows XP Home Edition, you can only log in as the user 'administrator'
in safe mode - by design.