Autocomplete not working - driving me mad!

Hi
I have a new Toshiba laptop, running Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.

Microsoft Firewall and Norton Antivirus are both enabled.

I've run Ad-aware, Spybot and Microsoft Update. All are up to date and the
computer is clean.

BUT Autocomplete won't work in forms, user id, passwords etc, in Internet
Explorer. (It's okay in the address line.)

I've checked the boxes in Tools, Internet Options and Inline Autocomplete on
the advanced tab.

I've worked through Microsofts online help with this problem but when I get
to step 3, I get an error message, which reads....

'"LoadLibrary("RSABase.dll") failed - The specified module could not be
found."
(OMG, does this sound serious!!)

I'm at a loss. I know someone has posted a similar question, but I didn't
want to hijack their thread. If anyone can help I would be most appreciative
as it's driving me mad. Especially when I'm wanting to send feedback quickly
on Ebay!!

If you have te solution, I'll love you for ever. Thanks in anticipation of
any support.

Don Varnau

Hi,
You're referring to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306895 right? Will
autocomplete work on another user account?

Also see this article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180

This article states that if rsabase.dll is missing, IE should be reinstalled
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q261328/

See http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Reinstall Be sure to try IEFix. It
will be easier than the steps in this article:
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"lappytop" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Oooooh, thank you. I'll try these suggestions and let you know how I get on.
Thanks Lappytop

"lappytop" wrote in message
[...]

Hi again,
No joy I'm afraid.
The only suggestion I haven't tried is
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180 but I'm unsure whether I should as
it involves editing the registry in XP Home Edition, but I have XP
Professional.

I don't seem to be able to reinstall just Internet Explorer without
reinstalling XP Service Pack 2. I'd rather not use my recovery disk and have
to go through the whole hassel of backing up all my work and downloading
various software again if there is still an alternative solution to this
problem.

I tried downloading Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 but it wouldn't let
me, as my current version is newer!

IEFIX didn't work. It wanted me to insert XP service pack 2 CD, but when I
inserted the recovery disk (the only CD that came with the laptop) it
couldn't locate what it was looking for.

The route of the problem still seems to be with Regsvr32 RSABase.dll which
can't be located.
I think I have found this on an original XP pro CD (not service pack 2), but
don't know how to make use of it to solve my problem.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Frustrated,
Lappytop

"lappytop" wrote in message
[...]

Reinstalling IE will be difficult because you have XP SP2 and an OEM
recovery disk.

Since you're exporting the key before deleting it- the deletion can be
undone- I wouldn't hesitate to try the procedure in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180

Have you tried a different (new) user account?

Have you visited Windows Update recently? There's a slim chance that an
update will reinstall rsabase.dll.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"lappytop" wrote in message

Thank you so much for sticking with me on this. I'm very grateful.
Will try the deletion of the key.
Windows is completely up to date.
Tried a new user but couldn't connect. Will have another play though.

Many thanks, will let you know how I get on.

"lappytop" wrote in message
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

Don Varnau said:
Reinstalling IE will be difficult because you have XP SP2 and an OEM
recovery disk.

Since you're exporting the key before deleting it- the deletion can be
undone- I wouldn't hesitate to try the procedure in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180

Have you tried a different (new) user account?

Have you visited Windows Update recently? There's a slim chance that an
update will reinstall rsabase.dll.

Don,

There is no rsabase.dll for XP. XP comes with IE6 so it only needs
rsaenh.dll.

Here is the only article that TechNet finds with search rsabas* kbwinxp*

<title>KB245030 - How to Restrict the Use of Certain Cryptographic Algorithms and Protocols in Schannel.dll</title>

(Somewhere in all that verbiage there should be the implication that
128 bit encryption implies use of rsaenh.dll and vice versa. It makes
it clearer that use of rsbase.dll implies lesser encryption levels.)

In contrast there are 9 articles found for: rsaenh* kbwinxp*
(which seems low to me)

Hmm... what does the DLL Database say:

http://support.microsoft.com/dllhel...=55&pid=3223&vid=185522&alpha=rsabase.dll&S=1

(no results found)

FYI

Robert
---

Don Varnau

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245030

(Somewhere in all that verbiage there should be the implication that
128 bit encryption implies use of rsaenh.dll and vice versa. It makes
it clearer that use of rsbase.dll implies lesser encryption levels.)

In contrast there are 9 articles found for: rsaenh* kbwinxp*
(which seems low to me)

Hmm... what does the DLL Database say:

http://support.microsoft.com/dllhel...=55&pid=3223&vid=185522&alpha=rsabase.dll&S=1

(no results found)

FYI

Robert

Thanks. I was about to conclude that rsabase.dll is not the problem. I don't
have rsabase.dll on the XP Home machine, and autocomplete works just fine.
So... which possible solutions have we missed? ;-)

Don

Hi again,

You brill techies are starting to lose me a bit!!

Update
Right I created a new user, managed to connect and guess what....

Autocomplete worked!!!!! HURRAY I thought, getting quite excited now!

So I logged on as me and tried to copy my profile to the new user, following
the instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306895 (method 4).

However when I select my user the 'copy to box' is greyed out!!!! I can't
select it.

So even though I hate messing with the registry (cos, I don't know what I'm
doing!) I decided to delete the key suggested previously. There were 2
subkeys. I deleted one but got an error message saying it could not delete
the other one!
Autocomplete still doesn't work when logged on as my original user name. SOB
SOB.

I'm sure we're nearly there now but how do I get to copy my profile to the
new user?

Many many thanks again.

Lappytop

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try this article:
811151- How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
Don't delete the old profile until you're SURE that all important data has
been transferred- Outlook Express data, in particular. In fact, it won't
hurt to keep the old account around for a while.

Q270670- How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q270670

Good Luck ;-)
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau said:
[...]

The one he seems reluctant to try. <eg>

Actually, I think it might be more complicated than that with XP Pro
(I have never used XP Home.) because even an Administrator
normally can't *see* the rest of that branch. Also there are other
KB articles which mention changing the permissions on that key
before deleting it.

<title>KB290684 - Save password setting not retained in Outlook </title>

I had to go to Google Groups to see the significance of this one
though. Mike Brannigan's reply to a user who was having trouble
with it:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...SFT+group:microsoft.*&rnum=1#6ba916df4c916d48

(Google Groups search for
"protected storage" delete MSFT group:microsoft.*
)

BTW notice the *strong* caveat for XP users in the article:

<quote>
Important Do not remove the main Protected Storage System Provider key.
This key is not automatically regenerated. If you are not having password
retention problems and you do not remember your password,
deleting the user subkey may result in not being able to retrieve your mail.
</quote>

Robert
---

HALLELUJAH, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Sorted, I am so chuffed. I haven't been able to log onto this site for the
last 24 hours, but it was well worth the wait. I'm fixed and up and running.
Just need to transfer email details but autocomplete is working.

Thank you so much to all of you for all the help and sticking with me on
this problem. If I ever bump into you I owe you a thousand drinks. You've
saved my sanity!

The article I originally worked from
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306895 (method 4). was incorrect. If it
had told me to log on both as a different user to the one I wanted to copy
and the new user, it would have saved a lot of hassel.

Don the last article you referred me to re. corrupt user, was the key to all
my problems.

A very grateful, exhausted, ecstatic laptop user.
Love you all lots
Lappytop x

PS Robert, 'he' is a 'she'! You should have guessed by the highly emotional
waffle I type!

Don Varnau said:
"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald[at]techemail.com> wrote in message

[...]

Congrats on *your* persistence. Thanks for letting us know that you got it
resolved. :)

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau said:
Try this article:
811151- How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
Don't delete the old profile until you're SURE that all important data has
been transferred- Outlook Express data, in particular. In fact, it won't
hurt to keep the old account around for a while.

Q270670- How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q270670

Good Luck ;-)
Don
"lappytop" wrote in message