Windows 7 Auto Password and Shutdown

Reaction score
I need a way to automatically shutdown a computer every 14 days and require a password for it to be used again. After the 1st shutdown the computer would proceed to shutdown after the next 14 days and require a new unique password to function again.

The password protection does not have to be BIOS level - meaning it can boot but I would not want the user to be able to use until a unique password is entered.

So far I have thought of created 7 different Tasks within windows set at the time intervals, task would maybe change system password, then shutdown. Only problem is if the user has created new password access would be granted to the system.

Any thoughts, help greatly appreciated.

BadMin

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
That is quite a complex request. I am not so certain that it can be done without writing a script or app to perform changes. This app would need to keep a timer, probably edit the registry to change the user password and then dump the randomly created password to a text file that would be dumped to a network location.

If this is a stand alone machine, there will be many complications with this. If the machine is a member of a domain, there is a chance that you could control this function via GPO. A stand alone machine would need to run an application prior to loading the log in screen.

TL;DR: You probably need to code something, as I am unaware of any application that performs this function.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This would be a stand alone machine. I agree it is a pretty complex request, I am fairly sure I need to stay away from a app prior to login as this really needs to run in the background without user intervention .

I am going to build a test box and start playing around with the windows scheduler. Changing the password is not required, but the only way I know to prevent the use of the computer until a unique code is entered.

BadMin

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Along with Windows scheduler, check out gpedit.msc

This will allow you to edit the group policy on the local machine. I have worked with this on XP and had some success with securing a machine the way I want it. So much so that I was able to lock the machine down all the way to a specific keyboard and USB port on the machine. This was for a gaming machine that we did not want anyone else to access it by any means other than what we had configured. A regular user would not be able to take a random keyboard and plug it into the machine and have it work.

Perhaps there is something that can help you. There are locations for logon and etc. You could possibly have a script that runs at user logon and checks the time/date for last log on. The machine would allow you to enter the "original" password but would prompt for a change in password or entry key. The logistics of the actual process would be up to you. However, I am positive that you would need to code something in order to load the options you want.

Also note that the users you configure on the machine would need to be restricted users and for each user created, the group policy would need to be installed and configured. For example, User A is admin and has full control. User B is restricted access. If User C is created, you will need to apply the GPO to that user as well, as the GPO will not carry over. User B would have to be restricted with creating users.

Last edited:

Ask a Question