Windows Vista Audio Problems

Reaction score
I upgraded from xp to vista and my Motorola phonetools disc would not work on vista. I used a friends disc and all was well until i had an auto windows update two weeks ago and the phonetools software stopped working . I did not see what the update was, but i think it was spi. A day later part of the update, Realtek hd audio also stopped working. I uninstalled the motorola software and the Realtek audio,and the next morning microsoft updated with the audio again and that worked fine. I tried reinstalling the phonetools disc and the phone would not initialise so i uninstalled it. The next day the audio stopped working again with the message "no audio device detected" It has not been part of updates since. I tried reinstalling spi but the message its already installed appears. I have some files with sp2, i wonder could the audio have been in them? In device manage i have exclamation marks against mmd sempron processor 3200x, High definition audio controller, Pci standard isa bridge, and um bus root bus enumerator. My system is Acer aspire T160 197z model EM615M/Em61PM,, I have Mcafee antivirus and Sky broadband. I would be obliged of any help. Also Is there a free application that checks all the drivers and informs you that new ones are available to download, such as Driver Detective.

Reaction score
The original phonetools disc was for xp only, and would not work with vista.The one i borrowed was compatable and worked fine with vista. Since i posted i managed to get a copy of Driver Genius and after scanning the computer it told me there were critical updates, and it installed Marvel yukon ethernet control driver, Nvidia nforce uda driver package, and Nvidea Display driver. When i look in device manager they still have exclamation marks against them Code 37. I click on update drivers and i get "you have the latest drivers". I rebooted but there is still no audio. Should i uninstall all microsoft updates and see if they all reupdate? I dont like interfering with them in case i mess something up. I value anyones opinion.

Reaction score
The driver package "Nvidia nforce uda driver" is for XP not Vista. If you go to <a href="http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/index.html">Acer-Europe-Support<a/> You will be able to install all the correct drivers for you rVista instalation..Navigate to the FTP site..If all else fails contact Acer Tech Support and they will steer you in the right dirrection..Be warned though as you over wrote an OS on one of their systems they will be very short in giving you help..

Reaction score
I have done a system restore to ununstall the driver genius updates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
terryco said:
I have done a system restore to ununstall the driver genius updates.

Has that solved your problem..?? Also instead of using the Motorola software for you phone..Go Here and download My Phone Explorer..It works better than most mobile software

Reaction score
No The problem still remains. I have emailed Acer with the details and will wait for thier advice. Thanks for the phone site i will get straight to it.

Reaction score
terryco said:
No The problem still remains. I have emailed Acer with the details and will wait for thier advice. Thanks for the phone site i will get straight to it.
As I wrote in an earlier post to you..You have installed an OS over the one Acer shipped the PC with..They will no longer give you support in anyway what so ever..Take it from somebody that worked for them for years..Have you completely removed Motorola Phonetools from your PC..? If not go back and make sure everything is removed..On some occasions you might have to manually un-install parts of the programme..ADD/REMOVE Programmes doesn't always remove everything..

Reaction score
I havn't altered the os, when i said i upgraded to vista, what i meant was i bought a new pc with vista on it, my old pc with xp bit the dust. I have the original vista home basic that come with the compute less than a year ago. I have done a check in the registry, and can find no motorala entries.

Reaction score
I do appologise, I must have miss read your post..In that case as it is new, get in contact with Acer Support, or if you still have the warrenty or reciept of purchase take it back to the store and askk them to sort it..

Reaction score
I have emailed acer. The pc is still under warrenty, but i think it was microsoft updates that has messed it up.

Reaction score
terryco said:
I have emailed acer. The pc is still under warrenty, but i think it was microsoft updates that has messed it up.
If it is still under warrenty take it back then..That is what warrenties are there for, rather do that than try sort the problem yourself and screw the warrenty..Was the computer bought direct from Acer or was it from another Outlet..If Direct from Acer, be very careful what you do to it while it is under warrenty..They will find the tiniest excuse not to repair/replace the machine for you..

Reaction score
Thanks so far for your help. I got it from a computer shop in maldon essex, I will go to them and see what they have to say

Ask a Question