Windows 7 Windows 7 Audio Device problem

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently come unto a problem with my win7 that's been driving me crazy.

For my system I have two audio devices, my speakers and my headset, and normally it works fine. But recently, it started going crazy.

It'll randomly fix itself and then get bugged again from time to time. When it's bugged it'll register my headset after i disconnect it from my computer, and after I plug it back into my computer it will no longer detect the headset. It's still able to detect that I'm plugging my headset into my computer, so I don't believe it's a hardware malfunction, seems to be a software issue here. Is there anyway to fix this without reformatting?

Reaction score
Try updating the sound driver for your system. The update night turn it to the functioning mode solving your problem.

Reaction score
I've tried updating the sound driver for my motherboard, but it didn't help the problem.
I'm not using a sound card and am using a ASUS P5N-D motherboard

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
From Computer Management go into Device Manager > Sound, Video and game controllers. Uninstall the drivers from there. Restart your PC, the go to the Mobo manufacturers website and download and install the latest drivers from there. Give that a shot and see how you get along. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just wondering how loudspeakers and headphones are connected. Presumably 'speakers plug into motherboard sound out socket at rear of machine and headphones connect to front of case socket?

Internal connections from front of case sockets to motherboard?

Plugging headphones into loudspeaker headphone socket - it it's fitted with one - will mute main speakers and is often a good solution.

Or perhaps the headphones are usb?

But as others have said if it was all working ok previously then best idea is to first uninstall current drivers and then install latest.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I'm going to go try uninstalling then reinstalling my sound drivers per Evan Davis' suggestion.

My headset is connected in the front jack, and I've already double checked the connection to the motherboard where I found no problems.
And my speakers are connected through the back panel

Reaction score
I tried uninstalling my sound driver, but it just re-installs itself once I restart my computer. Is there anyway to prevent that?

Reaction score
Windows doesn't need sound and many others driver to install as it has inbuilt configuration for these hardware accordingly. Still if it requires, as you have mentioned, it re-installs itself and create problems again and again, this might be due to virus infections.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, if that's the case then I'd also suspect a virus/malware.

Run your anti-virus program and download and run Malwarebytes (it's a freebie) and see what that turns up.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I tried uninstalling my sound driver, but it just re-installs itself once I restart my computer. Is there anyway to prevent that?
Install new/updated Win7 64/32bit drivers before reboot.

As to a virus, I very much doubt it, you'd see a lot more trouble than just a sound 'problem', however, it won't hurt to just check.

:user:

Reaction score
Have you checked all hardware connections? You may have a loose or frayed wire somewhere alone the line. It wouldn't hurt to take a panel off your PC and look again just to make sure everything is still in place or to double check that your headset is all wired correctly and its wiring hasn't come loose.

Ask a Question