Ati vs NvIDIA

Reaction score
pci is faster already?? thats what i read... i think

also ati said that the x850 will be there last :O !

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
When you compare AGP and PCI-E video cards (say 6800 Ultra) there is maybe a 8 frame diffrence between the two. but sometimes the 16 lanes really help on shader intensive games.
but if you have a choice, right now PCI-E is going to be a staple technology for PCs

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I honestly think anybody who tries to say one make is better than the other is talking out their bum :p

I know this, as for several years I championed ATI cards, only to see Nvidia take the lead, then ATI again, then Nvidia, and so on. So yes, that made me a one time bum talker :D

Just go for the best bang for the buck at time of buying, it really doesn't matter what make it is.

I'm currently using 2 x ATI 9800 Pros, an Nvidia FX5700LE and an Nvidia FX5600 256Mb. They are all good, imo.

Soon to upgrade to an Nvidia 6600GT, cos I ain't spending no more than £120.00 on an AGP card before I eventually upgrade to SLI.

As for ATI Catalyst drivers having to be tweaked for certain games, I'm running Far Cry and Doom 3 on one of the 9800 Pros, latest drivers, no probs at all, games run smooth, so I think the view that some games run better on Nvidia cards is, frankly, complete cobblers :D

And if you don't know how to tweak your video drivers, then you shouldn't even be fitting your own video card :p

And G-Man: For your budget, the X800XL256 is a good choice, go for it.

Ask a Question