Assumptions regarding a new post!

kurttrail

Kathea said:
Glad you mentioned AOL cause I was going to do so myself. As for the
good old days, I don't remember the *bulk* of people practicing good
netiquette much less understanding and obeying the unwritten rules.
Or perhaps I'm just remembering the lambasting of those letting
people have it for failing to follow good manners at a minimum.
Though I'm more of a "lurker" than a poster, I have surely been
hanging around Usenet (and primarily technical groups) long enough to
be an old timer.

Everything looks better in hindsight. The proverbial "Good Ole Days."
Usually just nostalgia, run amok. Except for the "Good Ole Days" when
the worst STD that we had to worry about was herpes! Now that was the
"Good Ole Days" for me! ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt

Denzil Hathway

kurttrail said:
Everything looks better in hindsight. The proverbial "Good Ole Days."
Usually just nostalgia, run amok. Except for the "Good Ole Days" when
the worst STD that we had to worry about was herpes! Now that was the
"Good Ole Days" for me! ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

=============

These ARE the good ole' days! Denzil.

kurttrail

Denzil said:
These ARE the good ole' days! Denzil.

Only if you are an anal uptight hypocrite of a born-again christian
republican that approves of going on holy wars for oil based on lies of
weapons of mass destruction, and enjoys torturing people.

Yep, for them, these are the good ole days! I can't wait till they
bring back Witch Burning!

Now that will be great reality TV!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

George

If you guys have what you call thick skin then why the post? And/or if you
don't give a sh*t then why are you here complaining? One of the rules of
posting if I remember correctly is respecting the other posters!!! Doesn't
sound very respectful to me!!! Example, "Most of these schmucks have OEM
machines from Dell" which makes you a???

George

kurttrail

George said:
If you guys have what you call thick skin then why the post?

I believe it was Crusty that said he has a thick skin. I just don't
give a sh*t about about what JoJo Starbuck thinks. Or you, for that
matter!
And/or
if you don't give a sh*t then why are you here complaining?

What am I complaining about in this thread? Please quote me.
One of
the rules of posting if I remember correctly is respecting the other
posters!!!

F*^k you! The only rule I follow is:

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man." - Billy S.
Doesn't sound very respectful to me!!!

That is you rule, not mine. I show respect to those have demonstrated
that they are deserving of respect. You have yet to demonstrate it to
my satisfaction.

Blow your rules out of your ass, Boy George!
Example, "Most
of these schmucks have OEM machines from Dell" which makes you a???

An . . . . A**HOLE! And damned proud of it! I'm definitely no
mamby-pamby moma's boy like you are. I can take what I dish out, so
either gimme you best shot, or go cry to your mommy that the evil
kurttrail's been picking on you!

http://microscum.com/kurtdevil.gif

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

George

You must remember that no matter where you go, there you will be, so try to
get along with yourself....good luck with that!

"If only your closed mind came with a closed mouth!" Of course yours will
surely explode if it has no where to spew....

Good luck with your therapy!

George

..

kurttrail

George said:
You must remember that no matter where you go, there you will be, so
try to get along with yourself....good luck with that!

Thanks. So far so good. Even hiking the Appalachian Trail in the dead
of winter.
"If only your closed mind came with a closed mouth!"

LOL! You saw me open my mouth?
Of course yours
will surely explode if it has no where to spew....

As long as I get it on video tape!
Good luck with your therapy!

LOL! Toying with little f*^kwits like you is my therapy!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

TRYING TO LOAD QUICKEN, WINDOWS XP USER. ERROR MESSAGE: NEED TO UPDATE SYSTEM
CONFIG. NEED TO CHANGE FILES TO 50 AND BUFFERS TO 10. DONT KNOW HOW TO DO
THIS. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME.

NoStop

Richard said:
ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR POST
Only an idiot would assume anything when it came to computers.
1.. Because you have posted here it is assumed that you are using
Windows XP. What version?
Maybe a wrong assumption on your part? What if I'm just interested in
whether I can use Windows XP and am presently using an earlier version of
Windows?
2.. If you do not state otherwise it is assumed that you are using a
standard ATA hard drive. Why? Because it is the most common drive
available today.
Do you think it is wise to make these kinds of assumptions?
3.. It is assumed that the hard drive is physically connected to the
primary IDE controller "on your motherboard" in a single or master
configuration. Why? Because it is the most common configuration.
What other place other than a motherboard could the primary IDE controller
be? What if I'm using SCSI drives? Then your assumption would be wrong,
wouldn't it?
4.. It is assumed that the operating system is installed in a primary
partition. It is further assumed that this partition is designated as
drive C: Why? Because it is the most common configuration.
Geez.

5.. It is assumed that you are using at least 256 meg of RAM for your
system. If you are using less - please state so.
Why? What business is it of yours?
6.. It is assumed that you have not altered your default pagefile size.
If you have - please state so.
Do you work for Microsoft or something?
7.. It is assumed that your computer was operating normally prior to the
problem you are experiencing at the moment. If not - please give
specifics!
What if it is normal to be experiencing problems with my computer?
8.. It is assumed that a friend with computer experience DID NOT try to
fix your computer before you came here for assistance. If one did, it is
further assumed that you will enlighten us to the fact, along with what
he did and the results of his attempts.
Why assume my friend is a "he"?
9.. It is assumed that you have not deleted, or tried to delete, any
Windows XP system components and that if you have you will alert us to
the fact.
HAHAHAHA

10.. It is assumed that you are running a fully patched operating
system. This includes SP2 and subsequent updates. If you are NOT, please
state as such.
This operating system will never be "fully" patched.
11.. It is assumed that you are running a competent and up to date
version of a quality antivirus product. Which one? If not, please let us
know that also.
How do I know if my antivirus product is competent? How would I know if any
antivirus product was "competent" with new viruses coming out every day?
12.. It is assumed that you are connected to the internet from behind a
firewall, either the one that is supplied by SP2 or a third party
application. Please state what you use. If you don't use a firewall let
us know.
Do you know what a firewall is?
13.. It is assumed that all default Window services are running. If you
turned any off, let us know. Try to list those that you have disabled.
Why would you want to know that?
14.. It is assumed that you will tell us how you connect to the internet
if you are having a connection problem.
Well if I was having a connection problem, I probably wouldn't be connecting
to the internet.
15.. If you are having a problem with a 3rd party application (or
hardware), it is assumed that you have exhausted the manufacturers
resources before you post here for help - with something that has
nothing to do with Windows XP.
Unless I couldn't determine whether the problem was hardware or XP.
16.. It is assumed that you have scanned your system for unwanted pests,
more commonly known as spyware, trojans, worms, virus's, dialers etc. If
you have not, it is assumed that you will state that fact.
HAHAHAHA

17.. It is assumed that you have at least tried to use available help
and resources to get some information about your question. These include
the extensive help section included with Windows XP as well as on-line
resources such as a Google search!
"Extensive help section included with Windows XP" ... you're joking, right?
18.. If you are having problems with a computer purchased from a major
manufacturer, it is assumed that you have tried to find an answer to
your problem from the manufacturer's web site before you post your
question here. Why? We will likely send you there for the resolution to
your problem anyway!
Are you speaking figuratively as "we" or do you have a split personality? Or
are you speaking for everyone that posts in this newsgroup?
19.. It is assumed that you will post all relevant information
concerning your problem, along with a clearly worded description of your
problem. Why? So we don't have to go back and forth with you for three
useless cycles to obtain the information necessary to make a diagnosis.
See above.

20.. It is assumed that you will type your question in a user friendly
format. It is further assumed that you DO know that this is NOT a teen
chat room and that not everyone knows what your abbreviations stand for.
When can we assume that you have yet to figure out how to keep your line
lengths within reasonable bounds when posting to a newsgroup?

NoStop

TRYING TO LOAD QUICKEN, WINDOWS XP USER. ERROR MESSAGE: NEED TO UPDATE
SYSTEM CONFIG. NEED TO CHANGE FILES TO 50 AND BUFFERS TO 10. DONT KNOW HOW
TO DO THIS. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME.
Can we assume your caps lock key is stuck?

NoStop

Leythos said:
They are not falling by the way-side, they are being abused by the
ignorant masses that don't take the time to learn anything and assume
they are perfectly correct in everything they want to do.

If MS had not provided MS Outlook with Usenet ability Usenet would still
be a great place without the ignorant masses treating it like email
media.

Especially the idiots that come here so full of "assumptions".

Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Yikes what a thread. For one, if most people knew anything needed to know about pc's, they wouldn't be posting here. To assume that someone, say, doesn't know how to right click on a mouse, is going to know all the other info is unrealistic. A lot of questions are from those who are completely lost and panicked by their situation and have no technical knowlege at all. I would hate to run a pc repair shop with these rules, customers would run screaming.

1. Let's not assume that everyone has enough tech back ground to give perfect info.

2. Let's not assume we make rules for these threads.

3. Let's not assume that we get so above these mere peasants, that their questions bother our god hood.

4. Let's not assume, assume makes an ASS out of U and ME !

NoStop

Richard said:
I have read the rules of these groups a few times and there is nothing
about posting in HTML, either for or against!

Anyone familiar with Usenet knows that posting in HTML is not appreciated in
the Usenet community.

Richard Urban

When a person who writes an extremely limited question (poor post), oh so
many seem to readily cough up the necessary information when asked to (on
the third or fourth trip) by a responder. I believe that many just don't
realize that we don't have a crystal ball in front of us. Maybe they are
just lazy, or hurried. But why should anyone here have to constantly play
ping pong with an O/P to get the required information to help HIM! Out time
is valuable also. And, unlike me - many have family obligations that must be
attended to - just like an O/P. Time is valuable on both sides of the
equation.

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Richard Urban said:
When a person who writes an extremely limited question (poor post), oh so
many seem to readily cough up the necessary information when asked to (on
the third or fourth trip) by a responder. I believe that many just don't
realize that we don't have a crystal ball in front of us. Maybe they are
just lazy, or hurried. But why should anyone here have to constantly play
ping pong with an O/P to get the required information to help HIM! Out time
is valuable also. And, unlike me - many have family obligations that must be
attended to - just like an O/P. Time is valuable on both sides of the
equation.

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"PCDaddy" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yikes what a thread. For one, if most people knew anything needed to
> know about pc's, they wouldn't be posting here. To assume that someone,
> say, doesn't know how to right click on a mouse, is going to know all
> the other info is unrealistic. A lot of questions are from those who
> are completely lost and panicked by their situation and have no
> technical knowlege at all. I would hate to run a pc repair shop with
> these rules, customers would run screaming.
>
> 1. Let's not assume that everyone has enough tech back ground to give
> perfect info.
>
> 2. Let's not assume we make rules for these threads.
>
> 3. Let's not assume that we get so above these mere peasants, that
> their questions bother our god hood.
>
> 4. Let's not assume, assume makes an ASS out of U and ME !
>

> --
> PCDaddyPosted from https://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

That's why no one makes you do this. You know what? I work, go to college, have a disabled wife, one child with heart problems, another with chronic asthma and who is constantly at the doctor, and a two month baby that is allergic to formula in all forms and stops breathing. My wife has an open stomach due to a hematoma after her c section and the wound won't close. I was supposed to have metal rods put in my back and two disks made due to my lack of. But i can't if i want to help my family. This is all true and i want NO sympathy. I try to help on this site when i can at night while i wait for the baby to wake up. I consider it fun and a privelege to try and help people on here. Maybe you should sue the guy who keeps twisting your arm to be on here? Family obligations? I would never think of any site taking time away from my family obligations so if it cuts into yours then you should hit the power button on your pc and do something with your family instead.

Brand new to this community and ap. First, I cannot seem to make a new post,
only replies. Is there a waiting period? Second, I keep all my data files on
a separate drive (F:). I use a mouthstick to type and would love to change
the default location where Windows and and other aps look. For instance, when
I go to attach a file to and e-mail I'm drafting in Outlook Express, it looks
to My Documents. Same when I start Adobe Acrobat. How can I change the
defaults to the root of my "data drive" (F:\)? Thank you.

DL

You are using the web interface to post, which is clunky.
Better to use the default outlook express newreader
To move My Documents, rt click the icon>Properties>Move.....you can locate
on your other drive

Robert Moir

Comfortable said:
Brand new to this community and ap. First, I cannot seem to make a new
post,
only replies. Is there a waiting period? Second, I keep all my data files
on
a separate drive (F:). I use a mouthstick to type and would love to change
the default location where Windows and and other aps look. For instance,
when
I go to attach a file to and e-mail I'm drafting in Outlook Express, it
looks
to My Documents. Same when I start Adobe Acrobat. How can I change the
defaults to the root of my "data drive" (F:\)? Thank you.

Hi there,
DL has given you some good advice already on using a newsreader which you
may find easier in this 'community' and also on how to set your defaults for
My Documents - this a good approach if all your documents are held in the
same place on your f: drive.

Another approach, if you're keeping different files in different places
might be to edit the "start in" folder on shortcuts for the programs
concerned. For example, if I always wanted Adobe Acrobat to start looking
for files in "F:\PDF Documents", I would right-click on the shortcut for
Adobe Acrobat, choose properties, then type "F:\PDF Documents" into the
start-in box, then click OK.