Assigning drive letters to a device

Dale Parker

My USB card reader takes a bunch of my first drive letters. Can I force my
machine to use the CD Rom, DVD Rom, and Zip drives to get the first letters
and then my reader. If so, how do I do this Im using XP Pro

Thanx Dale

VManes

First place to start is My Computer/Mange - Select Disk Management.

Right click on one of the USB device's drive letters, select Change Drive
Lette and Path - give it a letter well above the range you want to use.
Do this with all the card readers "drives"
Then set your CD/DVD/Zip to the letters you want, and reassign the card
reader to the now vacant letters.

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

My USB card reader takes a bunch of my first drive letters. Can I force my
machine to use the CD Rom, DVD Rom, and Zip drives to get the first letters
and then my reader. If so, how do I do this Im using XP Pro

Thanx Dale

VManes

Now the trick is, will you new drive letter assignments stick when the
machine is rebooted. For some persnickety reason, one of my XP boxes always
put my CD/DVD back to D and F, despite my setting them to M and N.

Good Luck

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com
***************************
Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.
***************************

<Dale> wrote in message WORKED LIKE A CHARM
Thanx Dale

Dick Ballard

I installed a second hard drive - wanted it to be E (which was my DVD
drive) so I just moved DVD and CD to F and G and gave E to new HD. It
seemed to work. (G was vacant and my card reader drives were H, I, and
J.)

But now Windows Explorer has the card readers at G, H, I, and has
added a "removeable drive" at J (there are only three card readers).
The G drive shows as "Memory Stick" until CD is inserted, then it
shows the CD. Explorer seems confused.

All the assignments appear correct under Computer Management/Disk
Management and under Computer Management/Removeable Storage/Libraries.

How do I train Explorer to handle these items correctly?

Dick Ballard
(e-mail address removed)

Dick Ballard

Yes, that is where I set up the new HD as E. The system had chosen G,
so I rearranged the drive letters in Disk Management to get it to be
E. That should not have affected the memory card readers since they
were not using any of the letters I played with. And according to disk
management, as I said, they still don't. Only Windows Explorer is
confused. I am trying to get Explorer to use the assignments specified
in Disk Management.

Dick Ballard
(e-mail address removed)