.aspx hyperlink no longer opens in media player

skipinator

I am a subscriber to a radio show web site, and I can listen to past
shows. I used to be able to click on a link and media player would
open and play the file. Now, when I click on the link, I get "This
Page cannot be displayed" error. If I copy the link and open it with
Media Player it works great. I'm sure I've installed something that's
broken this functionality (QuickTime, Real Player) Does anyone know
how I can repair this?

Thanks in advance,

Skip

Jon Kennedy

URLs with .aspx are not WMP-supported file types, it is a web page file
type.

Windows Media Player multimedia file formats
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992/en-us

Can you open other .aspx URLs such as:
http://mark0.net/onlinetrid.aspx ?

Can you give us the URL of the site in question?
It's possible that installing QuickTime or RealPlayer has muffed your file
type associations - it's easy to do if you're not careful installing them -
they tend to try and take over as much as they can for themselves.

Troubleshooting:

Frequently asked questions about how to troubleshoot issues in Windows Media
Player
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843509/en-us

See the resolution section of this article:
You receive error 0xC00D10B3 when you try to play online content
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838101/en-us

Newsgroup specific to WMP issues - see this for further assistance. WMP
MVPs are there:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...soft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US

When posting, also include your version of IE, WMP and Windows.

Jon Kennedy

Check your .asx file type settings. (Assuming WinXP) Go to My
Computer...Tools...Options...File types tab. Scroll down to the .asx file
type, click to highlight it. Make sure Opens with indicates WMP. Click
Advanced button. Click the Open action to highlight, click Edit button.
Make sure the following is correct -

Action - &Open
Application used... - "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"
/Open "%L"
Use DDE - checked
DDE Message - blank
Application - wmplayer
DDE..Not Running - blank
Topic - System

Then go back to the Play action, click Edit

Action - &Play
Application used... - "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"
/Play "%L"
Use DDE - checked
DDE message - blank
Application - wmplayer
DDE...Not Running - blank
Topic - System

If no joy, also post to the WMP newsgroup I previously indicated, and
include the version of WMP, IE and Windows you are using.