Are all ISP's poor?

Reaction score
I live in MI USA and we have only had 2 ISP's Charter communication and TDS Telecom.
We have had nothing but trouble with both of them. When we had Charter, it was the only service available in our area, as is TDS now.
We had daily outages with Charter, and we were so happy when we moved to an area where they did not have the monopoly. We thought we could never hate an ISP that much again. However, we have frequent outages with TDS too; at least 4 times a week for at least an hour at a time, sometimes 2-3 hours. We pay $75 a month for unlimited internet. JUST internet. We have no cable TV or phone.
When we call them all they do is hard reset the modem from their end, and hope it 'fixes the issue'. It doesn't..
They eventually send out a tec who invariably finds nothing wrong.
So .. my question remains.. are ALL ISP companies basically the same?

Reaction score
We are a UK based forum so may not be able to help you much?
But we do have a few US based users so they may be able to help you more.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I am in South Florida, USA and my Internet is awesome. The only time I lose connection is when the power goes out or when my modem breaks. The 20Mbps service is quite nice also.

I have seen several issues with DSL or Cable internet providers having faulty or failing lines to the dwelling. Both cable and DSL are typically buried in my area (and other areas where I know people). This leads to issues with failing connections due to a combination of things. Old wiring means the jacket on the cable is getting more and more brittle by the day. As it becomes brittle, it becomes succeptible to water intrusion. If water gets inside the outer jacket, a short can develop.

This symptom is best seen after heavy downpours or events that introduce large amounts of moisture to a particular area. Symptoms may persist once water intrusion has occurred. The only way to fix it is to run a line back from the dwelling to the main connection on the street.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From what I've been able to glean from membership of a US Forum and feedback from friends across the pond it all depends on which area of the 50 States you live in, very much so.

Nobody seems to like Verizon.

In the UK, no, they're not all the same, not at all. About 80% of UK ISP's are el crapola, the rest have varying degrees of goodness.

One common factor though is that all - to a certain degree - rely on BT (British Telecommunications, the UK's telephone network owner) for their effectiveness.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My ISP is awesome, always full speed, low ping and never drops out. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I think my ISP taltalk must have had a major look at themselves, service has been faultless, and customer supprt has improved 1000%

Ask a Question