Archiving Foiled By Changed Modified Dates

I have a user who cannot archive her Calendar data in Outlook 2000 (IMO).
Every time archive runs it doesn't move any items to the archive, even though
she has 11,000 calendar items with End Dates as far back as 2001. When I
added the Modified Date to the By Category view I saw that every single item
said it had been modified just a few days ago. It turned out the user
hotsyncs with a Palm Treo phone. She had deleted a bunch of duplicates with
UnDupe on the Palm and then hotsynced back to Outlook with the conduit set to
HH overwrites OL. This got rid of the dupes, but trashed the Modified Dates
in OL.

Per the MS KB, Outlook archiving is based on the Date Modified attribute of
the data record. This apparently gets reset to <current date> whenever the
record is transferred via hotsync. Henceforth that record appears to the
Outlook archive utility to be a new record that doesn’t qualify for
archiving. Worse, if you ever have to do a “one-way†sync to correct problems
with one of the databases (HH or OL), then EVERY record has its Date Modified
reset and NOTHING qualifies for archiving.

Does anybody know of this problem and what can be done about it? I thought
about exporting the calendar data to Excel and using a macro to change all
the Modified Dates to match the End Dates, which would be an acceptable
approximation of the true modified date. Problem is, Export doesn't include
the Modified Date. Anyone know how to poke the Modified Date within the PST
file? Or how about an archive utility that works off the End Date rather
than the Modified Date?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian Tillman

I have a user who cannot archive her Calendar data in Outlook 2000
(IMO). Every time archive runs it doesn't move any items to the
archive, even though she has 11,000 calendar items with End Dates as
far back as 2001. When I added the Modified Date to the By Category
view I saw that every single item said it had been modified just a
few days ago. It turned out the user hotsyncs with a Palm Treo
phone. She had deleted a bunch of duplicates with UnDupe on the Palm
and then hotsynced back to Outlook with the conduit set to HH
overwrites OL. This got rid of the dupes, but trashed the Modified
Dates in OL.

Not surprising.
Does anybody know of this problem and what can be done about it?

There's nothing to be done other than to wait for the modified dates to age
enough to meet your archive ctiteria.
I thought about exporting the calendar data to Excel and using a macro
to change all the Modified Dates to match the End Dates, which would
be an acceptable approximation of the true modified date. Problem
is, Export doesn't include the Modified Date.

In fact, even if it did, a re-import would change the modified date to the
time of import.

Roady [MVP]

In addition to that; why bother writing a macro in the first place? A manual
select of the items and moving them to the archive would be much faster.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
[...]

Well, that's not encouraging. It's conceivable that the records could never
age enough to be auto-archived because of future resets caused by hotsync.
It's also problematic to ask a user to perform manual procedures, and I don't
really want to be in the business of managing user data on an ongoing basis.

How exactly would I do this manual data migration? Open the archive.pst
into the folder list, sort the calendar By Category view on the End Date
column, select a range and drag it to the archive? Actually sounds doable
now that I put it into words. Thanks.
--
Change is inevitable...except from vending machines.

Roady said:
[...]

That is exactly the way ;-)

Outlook can't help it that hotsync messes with the modified date.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----

Roady said:
[...]

eeeehaw

Well, apparently it's not just "HotSync", it's also ActiveSync. I have a
situation where the modified date was changed to the exact same day & time on
hundreds of items, which foiled the AutoArchive function, and the only thing
I can recall doing on that date was set up a new Windows Mobile 6 phone inc
copying Outlook email messages over to it using ActiveSync.

Microsoft really needs to improve the usability of Outlook by providing
users the ability to select the "Received" date for AutoArchive operation in
lieu of Modified date.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
[...]

M_L_Weiland

It looks like the act of (manually) archiving also sets the "Date Modified"
field, even for messages that are NOT archived.

E.g., I did a manual archive on Nov 21, archiving items older than Nov 1st.
Now today (Dec 11) I'm trying to archive items older than Nov 16. NOTHING
MOVED - because everything in my Inbox has a Modified date of Nov 21 (or
later).

I'd second the notion of having the ability to have the "Archive items older
than" date respect the Date Received or Date Sent rather than Date Modified.

wrote:

[...]

Aaargh... apparently it's not archiving that resets the Date Modified as I
wrote below. There must be something else going on that I'm not even aware
of, maybe on the Exchange side.

: