Apple Mini Mac causes maximum buzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, this is what you get for £1349.01 (why the one penny? Where did that come from?)

24" Monitor
Intel 2.16Ghz CPU
1Gb Memory
250Gb SATA Hard drive
8 x DVDRW
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory
A remote control
A keyboard
A mouse
Built in speakers (presumably only 2.1?)
Built in Mic
Wireless networking (Airport Extreme)
3 USB Ports
Two Firewire 400 ports
One Firewire 800 port
Gigabit ethernet
Built in webcam
Apple OS (I would assume).

Best feature for that price must be the 24" widescreen monitor.

There are only two built in speakers, no bass woofer.

It does look good and it will probably perform well, but, for that price what could we get?

Think about a similar system based around a Conroe 6600, even with a similar monitor, I think a home built system would outperform the Mac.

Pricewise though, they have to be about the same.

But, gotta say, all in all, the Apple Mac top of the range ain't bad at all.

And as a footnote, were I buying now, I'd go for a dual core socket 939 (a bargain right now) and run Suse 10.1 on it ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Apple Macs have come a long way, I am also very tempted to get the Macbook Pro ;)

Reaction score
That 24" iMac must be huge. I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display, and that's pretty sweet all by itself.

Reaction score
;) makes a change to see so much positive-ness about Mac on this site... (takes another double scotch swig out of disbelief).
With reference to the chappy who said about there NOT being a built in Sub-Woofer with the iMac.... Apple are working on it... (I have NEVER seen a HP/compaq/PackardBell/eMachine/Advent PC with built in speakers (only laptop), let alone the sub-Woofer built in).
Regards, have a nice Sunday... I'm off to visit the New PCWorld in Broadstairs Opening today!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
hehe, omag, there's no point in being in denial about something that's good ;)

I never thought I'd see the day where I would favour Intel over AMD but that 6600 Conroe looks like a little beaut :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I have known you for six years and back then you were a gentleman. Today you are not just that but humble as well when you say you actually like the Intel over AMD and Apple over PC.

*Now why is that I do not see Mucks on this thread*

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Quads, You've always been a gentleman.

But hey, let's not get carried away, I didn't actually say I preferred Apple over IBM, it's just that at long last Apple seem to be delivering the goods.

And they do look so damned good, damn 'em ;)

Ask a Question