Apple Mini Mac causes maximum buzz

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score

indextop20050111.jpg

As soon as The Mac Station opened for business yesterday, the phones at the Vancouver computer store lit up with requests for information about the new Mac Mini, a tiny but full-powered desktop computer that Apple Computer Inc. of Cupertino, Calif. had unveiled hours earlier at an annual trade show in San Francisco.

Like its popular iMac consumer desktop computer, the Mini turns the world of computer design on its head. Just five centimetres tall and about three times that wide, it weighs a little over a kilogram. It is also the most competitively priced Apple computer ever!

The Specifications

The Story

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
they look cool not the most powerful thing in the world but for its size and price im thinking of getting one as an internet only machine

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be keen to see one of these in action, I actually quite like the Apple GUI - although I prefer a PC by far.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
when are they available in the uk? i've always thought of getting a mac but there so expensive and you cant change parts if something goes kaput and then theres getting software for them, also can you network a mac and pc together?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
January 22 for US and January 29 for Canada so far annouced but UK has to wait for the date of availability.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok just notice what i think is bit of a problem there only two usb ports which will more than likely be used by the 1)mouse and 2)keyboard, so what if i need to plug something else in would a hub work ok with mouse and keyboard in it and leave the other one on the back of the comp free?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
ok just notice what i think is bit of a problem there only two usb ports which will more than likely be used by the 1)mouse and 2)keyboard, so what if i need to plug something else in would a hub work ok with mouse and keyboard in it and leave the other one on the back of the comp free?
If you get the Apple wireless keyboard (listed in the accessories page on Apple website) you will get two additional USB ports which should solve your problem and do away with the need to use a hub.

Reaction score
I think that these are amazing "little" things, and I'm going to order one NOW...........

@ apple, they said if I were to boil my old Cube, it would possibly shrink down to the MiniMac size, though, probably wouldn't work any more!!!

decisions, decisions.......

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/?

well, I got one....thru ebay, took all of 2 (TWO) working days to get here via California and FEDEX. I paid £325 for the 80 GB 256 RAM one. They really are TINY. I think I will be getting a USB 4 Port thingy. It works fine with the DWL-122 WiFi dongle from D-Link. I haven't used it properly yet, but will add to this page (if anyone is interested).

Reaction score
I like PC's, but I L O V E apple mac. Their designers seem to work hard trying to get the right flavour, rather than having the usual "tower" thing sitting under your desk...

The only one I'm not over keen on, is the G5 iMac, although my opinion could well change.

I run virtual PC with windows XP (all licenced) on my four macs, which makes them slightly better than, shall we say H.P. Compaq, Acer. Sony also does well on design, as do Philips(MT2000), and some Advent stuff.

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/?

Here, you can find ALL INFO on ALL Mac's. I find this extremely useful.

Also, I would reccomend peeps find some reading glasses for the new OS "Tiger" that is about to kick off.
Regards.
O M A G

Reaction score
Yep!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...WoPRw2TwPLp92k122WrN/3.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.0.3

take a look !

It is a bit expensive there, but if you shop around, or take advantage of "SALE" time, like I did, you can get it much MUCH cheaper. Plus, I needed different versions for the different Mac's (I have 1 G3 and 3 G4's now)

I have a dream.....that Apple-Macintosh and windows, get together one day, and build the extreme ultimate mini computer design, shovel all the available software into it, and it'll be no bigger than a packet of fags....(E.R.N.I.E. used to fill a warehouse!). Look close, at today's PDA's, iPods etc...it wont take much longer........

Reaction score
For security and privacy reasons, your session has timed out.
To go back to the Apple Store, please click on the link below.

Reaction score
Just as a matter if interest, the entire Macintosh range of computers is now running Intel chip, and most of these are core-dou. The mini has now been upgraded (only twice since being released) and top end is running 1.83 GHz & offers up to 2 GB RAM. The new iMac is now offered with a 24" screen for £1300 and up to 3 GB RAM. The PowerMac now runs twin-duo core processors and offers up to 16 GB RAM. You can run windows on all of these machines alongside Mac's own OS. You can even install W Office for Mac. Check it out yourselves please.
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
old men and gadgets, you may be surprised at me saying this but those Apple Mac desktop machines do look seriously desirable, in my humble opinion.

Still, as ever, I'll say that for £1,349.01 I could do better with an 'IBM' machine.

But 24" Monitor that looks as sexy as that, I'm tempted.....

Help me, style may win over content, lol ;)

Ask a Question