I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

oops, sorry, I'll compose myself ... * deep breath*

Windows virus worms onto some Apple iPods
By Ina Fried

Apple Computer warned on Tuesday that some of its latest iPods have shipped with a Windows virus.
The company said that a small number of video iPods made after Sept. 12 included the RavMonE virus. It said it has seen fewer than 25 reports of the problem, which it said does not affect other models of the media player, nor does it affect Macs.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company apologized on its Web site for the problem, but also used the opportunity to jab at Microsoft, its operating system rival.

"As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it," Apple said on its site.

Apple Vice President Greg Joswiak told CNET News.com that the virus was discovered last week and said the company has been working around the clock since then to discover the root cause of the problem. Joswiak said it was traced to a particular Windows machine in the manufacturing lines of a contract manufacturer that builds the iPods for Apple. The company declined to name the maker.

"It's more important to say we now have processes in place to make sure this won't happen again," Joswiak said. "Very few units actually went through that particular station, fortunately."

The company said that computers using a current antivirus software and with default settings should detect and remove RavMonE, as it is an identified virus. It is urging iPod users without such protection to install antivirus software.

Apple said that the video iPods now being made are virus-free. It introduced the latest generation of iPods last month.

Antivirus company McAfee listed the iPod threat as a low risk, but gave it the rating of "low/profiled," which the company said applies to viruses that "appear to be low risk, but warrant additional monitoring because they have attracted media interest."

Joswiak said the virus does not affect Macs or the iPod itself. As for Windows machines, Joswiak said the virus "does not cause data damage but can lower the security of the computer" and said it should be removed. Apple points to various antivirus firms' Web sites, including McAfee, Microsoft and Symantec, as places consumers can get antivirus software if they don't already have it.

Apple said that there was no intentional placement of the virus on the iPods. "You can rest assured of that," he said.
... can I keep laughing now. :D

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... can I keep laughing now. :D

laughingsmiley.gif

I suppose so, if you find any kind of virus funny.

I know you think Apple & MS are crap, I also have my misgivings, but they are the most popular OS's and many people rely on them.

Virus writers aren't funny, they're scum.

Give it a few years, and most Linux users will be suffering the same as that OS gains in popularity.

You wait and see :)

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Unfortunately, virus writers also make a helluva lot of companies a helluva lot of money. :mad:

The extortionate prices they charge for removal of malware, that sometimes can be done quite easily.

I'm not advocating virus writing, by the way.

Why would Apple intentionally put viruses onto the iPods? Surely the only motivation, if they did have any, for them putting any kind of malware on there would be spying on their customers?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No no ... viruses are not 'funny' but the way this 'infection' occurred, is hilarious.

laughingsmiley.gif

Now where did I say Oranges & Apples are crap ... ?? don't answer that one. :p

Mr FBS ... I managed to be MS free for nine months, then Oblivion came out and I got vouchers to buy the game and my brother gave me a free copy of Windows as a burpday prezzie ... and I been hooked ever since ... fantastic OS. :D

And ... I have made a point of publicly declaring I'll be buying a copy of Vista too ... only ever played with one Mac, back in 89. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well....................... alwite :D

I've only ever tried an Apple Mac computer once, because I had to, when I installed a video recording suite at a college in Wandsworth.

They wanted to interface the Matrox Break Out Box with the Apple Mac as well as the computer I supplied.

Well, I made up the leads, connected up, tried Mac OS, got baffled - some 14 year old sorted it out :lol:

Reaction score
A lot of companies that deal with selling anti viral software also employ the virus writers. Damn did I say that out loud? Hahahahahahaha!!

Hmm maybe I should become a conspiracy theorist?

Ask a Question