An update on my absense!

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have been away from PCR for quite a while, its true! My reasons are justifed, honest ;)

I started college in September and that has been one helluva rollarcoaster ride for me. I wanted to go to college to study Computing and programming, but it seems that the courses I thought I'd least likely enjoy, were in fact the ones I'm thoroughly enjoying.

I think I've found my little niche which is in fact Sociology, along with Government and Politics. Although I still love Computing, I had a reality check a couple of monthes ago which made me realise that the side of Computing I wanted to go into as a job was stupidly competitive. I had a trip to the University of Surrey to meet leaders of EA games (which most of you surely have heard of!) which to my surprise, told me that there are only around 200 people working for EA at any one time... and even then, thats when they are at full capacity.

Although the meeting wasn't entirely game-orientated, I just thought it would not be practical making a career out of something which revolved solely around sitting at a computer all day. As much as I have a passion for computers, that just doesn't appeal to me ;)

Anyway, the rest of college life is incredible! For me, it is two things. Both the hardest thing I have done, without a doubt, but also one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling experiences I'm lucky enough to be a part of.

I haven't had much time to get onto PCR, but I'm trying to come back as much as possible! Truth be told, I miss you all very much :). I've picked up many useful things in Computing, so hopefully I'll be able to assist with problems a little better. Hopefully pick up more new things to!

Thanks for readin' :D

edit: Oh and I hope you all had a brilliant Easter, a lovely 4 day weekend for me :D

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey glad its going well Mike..

Sometimes we need these little reality checks to guide our way...Its amazing where you think your going and where you actually end up..

All the best and happy dayz...:D

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Hey glad its going well Mike..

Sometimes we need these little reality checks to guide our way...Its amazing where you think your going and where you actually end up..

All the best and happy dayz...:D

thank you!

a year ago, i couldn't have imagined myself in this situation.. University is on my doorstep near enough, so i've got more surprises to come methinks :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's going well and you are enjoying yourself :)

The freedom of college/university is great, and I'm sure you are going to love every minute of it (well, apart from exams!) ;)

Reaction score
I came out of IT last year after studying it 24/7 for 3 years.
I miss it, but have found that i enjoy the job i do at the moment more.
It can sometimes be very hard to change to do something else, but it seems like your enjoying the change.

May be IT can become an enjoyable hobby instead.

Reaction score
feckit said:
I came out of IT last year after studying it 24/7 for 3 years.
I miss it, but have found that i enjoy the job i do at the moment more.
It can sometimes be very hard to change to do something else, but it seems like your enjoying the change.

May be IT can become an enjoyable hobby instead.

ah good to hear you're enjoying your job feckit :)

I'll want to keep IT as a hobby, maybe even a little more.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good to hear you're happy in your chosen vocation :thumb:

I think you made a wise choice as computing and IT are fields that are heavily over-subscribed. I think the only area in computing where skills are in demand are in writing code. Code that works and is flexible.

I left my first profession, after four years I decided it wasn't for me. I was a hard news and court reporter, first with an Agency in Fleet Street then with a local newspaper.

This mostly involved gathering facts, being nosey and getting on people's nerves. Pretty much like a police officer in fact. And news doesn't happen 9 til 5, it's a 24/7 thing.

I wanted to do something more practical, so I quit and eventually became an Industrial Radiographer.

The point of relating this tale is to illustrate that our first choice is not always the best choice for an individual, it just takes some of us a while to realise it.

Good luck to you :)

Ask a Question