Amd Xp 2400+ Cpu Help Needed

Reaction score
i am currently running 1800 xp (1.53) gigz it is alrite it does the job . i got a coolermaster silent heat pipe fan on the cpu. And no it dont DRAMATICALLY cool down the cpu but the thing i like abt it is that it is VERY SILENT and i am a BIG fan of a quiet pc.

well anyway this fan i got only goes up to xp 2200 and higher. so this is what it says on the packet. so i brought xp2400 i know my motherboard supports this. i brouhgt it and stuk in xp2400 with this same cpu fan. i put it in for merely 10seconds. i heard this shock like noise. there was nothing coming up on the screen. and it smelt SLIGHTLY just slightly like burning plastic bear in mind this was for literally 5-10 seconds. obvioulsy something was wrong.. so i took out the cpu put back in my 1800xp and PHEW it works!

but the ultimate question is my CPU burnt? i brought a new fan but it is a BIG JOB to put this in as i have to pull the mohterboard out of the vase as the new fan is alwso not only bigger but louder too!!!

the xp2400 has a pattern on the chip??? is this normal?? how cani tell if the CPU Is not burnt withoput TESTING it ans causing more problems!!!

please let me know
thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Huh oh

Some discolouration is normal but you will have to TEST it ... you'll NOT do any damage to any other component, if the CPU is dead ... :(

Good luck.

Reaction score
That heatsink is a very good and should easily cool well beyond an XP2400 (no matter what it says on the box) as Muck says...the only way to tell if you have burned out a chip is to re-install it and run the PC. Even if the chip is fried, you should not have damaged anything else.

Remember, a heatsink like that is simply a block of copper (in this case)....you won't damage it, even if it catches fire. simply, re-install the chip you want to test and re-seat the HSF. If the PC fails to start, you may well have burned out the CPU. Whatver you do, keep the HSF...it's a good one!

Ask a Question