All opinions welcome :)

C

Chopski

Hiya,

Am looking into upgrading my pc and was hoping that someone might be able to give me their opinions on the following products and whether they are good, bad, compatable etc..

Mobo
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com.../+Asus+P5N32-E+SLi+Socket+775?productId=25917

Memory
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...C6400)/Corsair+PC6400+2GB+Kit?productId=27405

Graphics card
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MSI-86GTO+

Processor
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...ntel+Core+2+Duo+E6600+Retail+?productId=23828

Power supply
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...ation=shoppingCartAdd&productId=25510&context=

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Chopski

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Get a better PSU and avoid the 8600. :)

C

Chopski

V_R said:
Get a better PSU and avoid the 8600. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend a psu or graphics card that is similar in price?

Thanks, much appreciated

Chop

Reaction score
Hiya!:wave:

What are you gonna use the PC for?
The list is compatible.
I am just Curious........

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm guessing a mid priced gaming system.

Whats your budget?

...and what do you have already?

:)

C

Chopski

itsme said:
Hiya!
happywave.gif

What are you gonna use the PC for?
The list is compatible.
I am just Curious........

Hiya,

Mainly be using it for gaming, video editing and converting and other normal stuff :)

Cheers

Chop

C

Chopski

V_R said:
I'm guessing a mid priced gaming system.

Whats your budget?

...and what do you have already?

:)

Hiya,

budget is ideally no more than 500 and I have a full pc at the mo so will use the case, monitor, cd/dvd drive, hard drive etc from that.

Thanks again

Chop

Reaction score
Chopski said:
Hiya,

Mainly be using it for gaming, video editing and converting and other normal stuff :)

Cheers

Chop

Well as V-R has said get a better GC and PSU I am sure V-R will point you in the right direction that way>>>>>>>>>>>>>:D the rest is a very good set-up;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'll leave the graphics to those more knowledgable - but I agree that PSU is a big no.

I would get something like the Corsair HX 520W - thats one of the best around for that kind of money IMHO.

I like the rest of it :thumb:

Reaction score
I agree get the Corsair PSU. Also you have a fab cpu there as well. I have got one of them and its never let me down.

wizkid

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
def go with the corsair PSU

as for the graphics card X1950XT is pretty decent and around £100

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well £500 is cutting it fine tbh. But i reckon we can do it. :)

First thing is that Intel are cutting their prices on the 22 July, so if you can wait until then you should have a bit more cash to play with..... The E6600 will be around the £100-£115 mark

If you want to buy now then how about something like.....

From OCUK

On Budget.

attachment.php

OR

Over budget but the GFX is worth it! (Will run any game very well as long as your not playing at masive resolution and is DX10 ready.)

attachment.php

Adding the Corsair 520 rather than the OCZ PSU will push it up to £559.

In my opinion, you wont get better for the money. :thumb:

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 231
  • basket2.jpg
    basket2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 260

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
A couple of good specs there V_R - and if he shops around a bit, he will find some of those items cheaper than at OCUK too ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
and if he shops around a bit, he will find some of those items cheaper than at OCUK too ;)
Indeed, i did mean to say that. You can get the corsair psu from ebuyer for a fiver less for example, but they dont do that mb, unfortunately. OCUK was the first place i went to. :)

C

Chopski

V_R said:
Well £500 is cutting it fine tbh. But i reckon we can do it. :)

First thing is that Intel are cutting their prices on the 22 July, so if you can wait until then you should have a bit more cash to play with..... The E6600 will be around the £100-£115 mark

If you want to buy now then how about something like.....

From OCUK

On Budget.

attachment.php

OR

Over budget but the GFX is worth it! (Will run any game very well as long as your not playing at masive resolution and is DX10 ready.)

attachment.php

Adding the Corsair 520 rather than the OCZ PSU will push it up to £559.

In my opinion, you wont get better for the money. :thumb:

Hiya,

thanks for your replies and research!

Money aside, what is the main difference between the gigabyte mobo you have chosen and the asus one that I originally chose? Has it had bad reviews or were you just trying to find a cheaper mobo so I could afford a better graphics card? Is £180 on a graphics card really worth it? I am sure many of the GC's I have seen are now DX10 ready and still cheaper? Forgive me have been a bit out of touch with the pc world recently.

many thanks

Chop

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well tbh, that board you picked is good but overpriced imo.
were you just trying to find a cheaper mobo so I could afford a better graphics card?
spot on, do you need an SLI mb? The GB board will perform just as good if not better. :)
Is £180 on a graphics card really worth it? I am sure many of the GC's I have seen are now DX10 ready and still cheaper? Forgive me have been a bit out of touch with the pc world recently.
Well at the end of the day, thats for you to decide, its your money. But the graphics card is what you want to spend the cash on if your gaming.
Only the 8xxx series of Nvidia cards or the ATI/AMD HD2xxx's are true DX10 cards. and you will need Vista for that too.

What sort of games are you planning on playing, and what size and resolution do you play at?

Last edited:
C

Chopski

Hiya,

Tbh I am not into any one specific game - I kinda go through phases of different games but would prefer to have the choice of what game I would like to play as opposed to having my GC choose the games I play if you know what I mean.

You pleased with P5B mobo that you have?

Thanks for the help again

Chop

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I know what you mean, all the more reason to spend as much as you can on the card to ensure you will be able to play the games you want, both now and in several months time. What would you say if you found that you needed to upgrade your graphics card again in say six months or so coz t didn't run the latest game you bought? Something to think about. :)

You pleased with P5B mobo that you have?
Hell yeah! Its great. Note i have the Deluxe version not the P5B 'vanilla' (Plain). Check out the gallery for pic's of it. :)

Ask a Question