Is it worth up-grading to quad??

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking about up-grading to quad core as I am stll on E6600 Core 2 CPU. Quads are coming down in price now I am looking at maybe getting this one, its the best one I can find for that sort of price.

Your views welcome.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Would be good for Crunching!
But not sure if the cost is worth it at the moment.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll wait for the 8 core's to come down in price, then buy a quad. ;)

Someone will still want XP on it too. :lol:

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Unless you're a heavy user of CPU-intensive software such as wanting to run video editing/rendering and a CAD program in tandem, I wouldn't bother.

If you have a need for 4 cores, buy one.

Other than that I'd wait and eventually make a bigger jump to an ie7 setup.

The only other reason to go quad, imo, is to return more crunching work units.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Someone will still want XP on it too. :lol:

:D

Yep, my mate being one such in question :lol:

He has said he'll probably buy Win7 when it's finally released though :)

Reaction score
Hello All,

Thanks for your repies,

Mucks, thanks for your reply. Yeah I bit someone will want to run a quad on xp and it just wont happen lol. I think I might wait tell the 8 core's come down in price first although I would need an mobo up-grade if I went for an 8 quad.

Flops,

I am quite happy with the e6600 atm although I have noticed it to use all 2 cores lately when scanning either for viures or spyware scans, if I run a viurs scan and try go on the net then the system will lag thats the only reason why I might up-grade to quad.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just curious here but why do you think XP will not run just fine on a quad ? Why not run your scans while you have your tea or are watching a vid.

:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Flops,

I am quite happy with the e6600 atm although I have noticed it to use all 2 cores lately when scanning either for viures or spyware scans, if I run a viurs scan and try go on the net then the system will lag thats the only reason why I might up-grade to quad.

As a virus and/or malware scan is quite intensive would it not use four cores anyway?

If you know this not to be the case then go ahead and buy a 4 core if you have the money and really want one.

But to my mind it's a rather costly upgrade that will reap relatively few benefits. Unless you're strongly committed to crunching of course then it's well worth it.

You'd get a few quid back by selling the 6600 as well, I reckon it would sell here or on E-Bay or similar.

Why not just do your scans when you're out/eating/having a shower/bath/ or just about anything else but being on the computer.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd hang on a little longer Wiz, for the same reasons that Flops suggested above. It's a nice CPU, but I don't think you'll notice much difference.

Might be worth saving your pennies for a little longer and get a nice big step up next year :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi,

Flops, I agree if I up-grade to quad the scans will probably use the same amount of CPU usage. The E6600 has done me well and I am sure it will for another year, then I think will look at building a i7 rig as they would have hopefully come down in price by then. I'll set the sans when I am doing other things, so I dont need to use the pc and then it can complete them and it want lag when I am trying to get it to do other things. Do you reckon I should still get a fair bit for the E6600 if I sell it next year?

Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

It's a nice CPU but as you and Flops have said the performance would be not that much different, I am going to save the £126 and put it towards a i7 rig next year. :)

Ask a Question