Retail CPU cooler with quad/duo core CPUs

Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone here use the normal retail CPU cooler that comes with an Intel Quad core or Duo Core CPU?

I am wondering how loud these things are?

I love silenced computers.
The reason is I was contemplating about whether to get a silenced Zalman CPU fan for the quad/duo core I am about to buy.

Reaction score
Hi psd99

I know a friend how uses stock cooler for his quad cpu and its not to noisey at all really.

regards,
Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Freezer 7 Pro on me Intel Quad Q6600, with your ASUS board you get AI Lifestyle software, on it you get Q Fan so you set profiles for the fans in the case.

My CPU Fan is set to silent, runs at 1400RPM and keeps my Intel Quad Q6600 between 29 and 40 degrees C.

Only thing i can hear is the graphics card.

Edit: QX series of Intel Quads have HSF that are very noisy and rattle.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've never used a stock cooler, far as I can recall.

However, looking at the Intel cooler that came with my C2D 6600, it doesn't look too bad at all.

If you want quiet and cool, third party cooler the way to go.

Noctua and Zalman fit both categories - quiet and cool.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Freezer 7 Pro on me Intel Quad Q6600, with your ASUS board you get AI Lifestyle software, on it you get Q Fan so you set profiles for the fans in the case.

My CPU Fan is set to silent, runs at 1400RPM and keeps my Intel Quad Q6600 between 29 and 40 degrees C.

Only thing i can hear is the graphics card.

Edit: QX series of Intel Quads have HSF that are very noisy and rattle.

good point about the AI i'lll have to play with bios maybe i wont need a fan mate!

I have been looking at getting that Q6600 you got any experience with the fan that comes with that?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've never used a stock cooler, far as I can recall.

However, looking at the Intel cooler that came with my C2D 6600, it doesn't look too bad at all.

If you want quiet and cool, third party cooler the way to go.

Noctua and Zalman fit both categories - quiet and cool.

Have you ever listened to that C2D 6600 fan in full mode?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
good point about the AI i'lll have to play with bios maybe i wont need a fan mate!

I have been looking at getting that Q6600 you got any experience with the fan that comes with that?

YOu can use the AI Lifestyle in windows its an application, no need to do anything in the BIOS.

I had the stock cooler on for 2 days, is the same as the C2D, when i overclocked the CPU from 2.4Ghz upto 3.0Ghz it kinda struggles.

It isn't upto much, got an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro instead, read some reviews and its pretty good and is budget too, cost me £16.

Can't here it at all on silent and keeps me CPU nice and cold.

There are bigger and better out there, ASUS Silent Night 2 or Zalman CNPS series are good, Noctua and Scythe as well, although the Scythe ones are overpriced for performance.

Reaction score
I shall have to play around with AI software then can't wait woo hoo!!!

Pretty frustrating guys.

Right now I am saving all my files and boomarks and composing an installation list for vista :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Composing an install list for Vista is a very good idea.

I can remember doing that back in January.

And a very frustrating time it was too, drivers for Vista were fairly hard to find even then, over a year since Vista had been released.

I still have that folder full of drivers saved to disk, although I dare say a lot of them have been updated since.

I know I sound like a stuck record but the Noctua coolers are great. Big, cool and quiet. I'll also give a thumbs up to the Zalman coolers I have.

Reaction score
oh yes Flopps drivers too!!!

I just downloaded the latest drivers for my 9800 GT card.

As for the list of software it is still being composed. So far around 2 GB of applications.

Ask a Question